Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing More Files Than Visible

I'm sharing more files than visible in "My Kazaa.."
    I now how to choose folders with files i want shared.
    But apparently the information on the files i'm
    supposed to be sharing is incorrect.
    Because about 90% of the files i'm sharing are in a map
    that's supposedly not shared .

What can i do ? This is strange.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    A map ? What's that ?

Anyway, K-Lite sometimes just dispalys more. If you were to burn a CD you'd see that there are additional files that you cn't see in WinXP folders. Don't mind them, they aren't being really shared and noone can download them. As far as i know nothing can be done. (well, can but there is no reason to )

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    No, if Kazaa Lite says you're sharing more files than you can see -- YOU REALLY ARE!

They may be Win XP's picture thumbnails, trojans, or viruses.
    That's the most likely culprits anyway.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Viruses and trojans most often are .exe, .pif, .com, .scr etc. so they would be listed in Other or Software genere in My K-Lite. I say that thumbnails are most likely to be the reason.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by Autumn Fox@12 August 2004 - 08:52
    I say that thumbnails are most likely to be the reason.
    nope.............

i have the same prob it says im sharing 984 files but i only have 156 in my share folder just mostly cartoons and movies......... huge files

put all the time like 2, 3, times a day people upload files that i did not no i have with weird names like, etc (xpvntruilvn76589483) and just file names that don't have names just number and letters. don't know where there coming from but there getting uploaded. and most of them are small files.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    K-Dat has a utility that lists all files from .dbb files. In there you can see them.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Autumn Fox@12 August 2004 - 03:52
    Viruses and trojans most often are .exe, .pif, .com, .scr etc. so they would be listed in Other or Software genere in My K-Lite. I say that thumbnails are most likely to be the reason.
    Hidden files DON'T show up in Kazaa/K-Lite list of shared files but WILL add to the total files shared a bottom right of the window.

Strange-name files being uploaded is either files being uploaded by hash or almost certainly active viruses being uploaded.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Try choosing just one folder that have few files in. Than check out the My K-lite button. And remember that windows hide some files ( system files and others). Before choosing the folder check the status of it. See if it has some files that you cannot see ( In status bar, at bottom of the window you can see it)

If the problem persists, reinstall your program. If it stay showing these files so its better you throw your pc out.

You know... Sometimes the patience blows out....
    Funny?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by Switeck+13 August 2004 - 08:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 13 August 2004 - 08:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Autumn Fox@12 August 2004 - 03:52
    Hidden files DON&#39;T show up in Kazaa/K-Lite list of shared files but WILL add to the total files shared a bottom right of the window.

Strange-name files being uploaded is either files being uploaded by hash or almost certainly active viruses being uploaded. [/b][/quote]
    I never said that they do I mentioned looking at the .dbb files.

Anyway, EPAPDLEV, to be sure run an AV on full scan with updated definitions.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Autumn Fox+13 August 2004 - 14:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Autumn Fox &#064; 13 August 2004 - 14:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Switeck@13 August 2004 - 08:40
    <!--QuoteBegin-Autumn Fox
    @12 August 2004 - 03:52
    Hidden files DON&#39;T show up in Kazaa/K-Lite list of shared files but WILL add to the total files shared a bottom right of the window.

Strange-name files being uploaded is either files being uploaded by hash or almost certainly active viruses being uploaded.
    I never said that they do I mentioned looking at the .dbb files. [/b][/quote]
    Sorry, that part of my post was meant as general information.

More general (to everyone) info:

BTW, Windows from Win 95 on up to Win 2003 will lie to you about the existance of folders if a desktop.ini file exists in them and there&#39;s registry entries telling the OS to ALWAYS hide them.

You have to KNOW they&#39;re there and type their full path in or use a 3rd party file manage/windows explorer to show them.

Kazaa worms/viruses started using this trick at least as far back as early 2003 if not earlier, thus hiding these hidden files both from Kazaa&#39;s library listing (My Kazaa/My Kazaa Lite window) AND Windows itself.

When you DO finally get to the correct folder, it will appear empty...but right-clicking on the folder itself and choosing properties will show it actually contains NUMEROUS files...and probably takes up 10+ MB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast