Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help From Tech Guru's...

hi all,
    just come back from hols in europe ... need to upgrade my celeron 1.7 and mx440 video to something that will allow me to run new games like deus ex 2 and half-life 2 and doom 3 reasonably (when they are all out...)..without costing the earth, as i have no money left!!
    The place i'm gonna get my gear from will pay me for my current stuff, but i need to decide on what speed (ie P4 2.8,3.? *EDIT* - or AMD?? ...etc) and what sort of video card (ie nvidia 5200,5700..or radeon 9???)...
    i just need a bit of guidance as i don't know what to get to have a noticiable difference...
    any help would be appreciated..
    dave.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    For HL2 and D3, if you want to play it good, id suggest you get atleast a GeForce 5950 or Radeon 9800 Pro.

As for cpu, you can get yourself a 2.4 and oc to 3.2
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    you should post the brand & model number of your motherboard so people can help you figure out how much of an upgrade that it will accept, and whether or not you should consider buying a newer motherboard as well. you may be able to pop a significantly faster CPU into it, or you may not... it depends on the particular model.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@9 August 2004 - 22:02
    you should post the brand & model number of your motherboard so people can help you figure out how much of an upgrade that it will accept, and whether or not you should consider buying a newer motherboard as well. you may be able to pop a significantly faster CPU into it, or you may not... it depends on the particular model.
    Forgot about that. But by the sound of it, you will also need a new motherboard. Maybe some new RAM if you get a new motherboard.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    yep, SingaBoiy is right...i can't up my current m/b beyond p4 2.4 (400FSB) so its not really worth it... and yes i think i will have to trade in my 512 ram too...cant remember what speed it is...plus when i say run the games "good" i dont mean with all the settings way up.. isnt 30fps enough for most games? the radeon 9800 is more than i can spend from the looking around ive done... should i head towards something in that range or steer towards the nvidia range? i notice a lot of you guys have radeon cards so i guess thats an endorsement on its own..!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    You could get a Celeron D. Seen lots of people OC it to 3.8 on stock and get performance just below P4 3.4. ($88)

Some Kingmax 512MB PC-3700 for good OCing ($88)

I dont know alot about motherboards, but this ASUS P4S800 should be fine. I think ($66)

Thats $242. Just need a vid card.

GeForce FX 5600XT should be decent for new games. ($86)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i know this is very noobish of me but the guy at the computer shop recommended getting a similar 800fsb p4 board but with p4 2.8, and he said either the geforce 5200 or 5700...? what do you guys think of those...? EDIT -what speed of celeron D would you say to go for?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by dboucher@10 August 2004 - 10:26
    i know this is very noobish of me but the guy at the computer shop recommended getting a similar 800fsb p4 board but with p4 2.8, and he said either the geforce 5200 or 5700...? what do you guys think of those...? EDIT -what speed of celeron D would you say to go for?
    DO NOT get the 5200, it's basically the same as your MX440 with more RAM.....any card but that.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by dboucher@10 August 2004 - 01:26
    The one I linked to.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by RGX+10 August 2004 - 13:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RGX @ 10 August 2004 - 13:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dboucher@10 August 2004 - 10:26
    DO NOT get the 5200, it&#39;s basically the same as your MX440 with more RAM.....any card but that. [/b][/quote]
    While I wouldn&#39;t recommend the 5200 now, it is in no way "basically the same as the MX440". The FX5200 is DirectX9 compliant, the MX440 is not.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast