Thread: Removing Xp Updates

Anyone help me please?
    I left automatic update open and I now have a stream a mile long of xp updates.
    They are all useless because they are in SP1 which I have.
    I would really like to remove them but when I went to Add/Remove I removed one and had to reboot. I have no intention of doing that 60 times. Please would someone tell me if they are in a folder somewhere that I can just delete! I really do not need them and they take up an awful lot of room.

Many thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    angel_of_death57
    This has no reason to be in Requests u are not requesting a program for download

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Pardon my ignorance!! I am new to this and to my mind I was making a request for information.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The updates that have been downloaded and are waiting to be installed are in a folder WUTemp

it uses the largest capacity drive for this, in my case its D:\WUTemp

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thank you very much for your reply. I had another 17 items in there, deleted them all and so far no problems

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    AndrewBarker

Once again thank you. Your suggestion has cleared the downloads waitng to be installed. Any chance you can tell me how to get rid of the entries in add/remove without having to restart after removing them one at a time?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by denali@11 August 2004 - 10:46
    AndrewBarker

Once again thank you.  Your suggestion has cleared the downloads waitng to be installed. Any chance you can tell me how to get rid of the entries in add/remove without having to restart after removing them one at a time?
    First you need to find the .msi file (microsoft installer) associated with the package. You need to be able to run regedit.

Look in :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall
    for a list of installed packages. Look in each one in turn to find out what software package is associated, and look at the uninstall string for the command to uninstall the package.

If this is the MSI installer (MSIEXEC) you can add the option "/norestart" to the end of the command in the uninstall string, and it won't restart at the end.

However, you should be aware that some packages may be interdependent, and that doing this could severely compromise your system integrity. You do it at your own risk.

Edit: if you are doing this prior to installing SP2 there is no need, SP2 installation will take care of it for you.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    AndrewBarker

You are an enormous help. Your PS answered all my problems. I did really want to get rid of them before SP2 but if that sorts them out I really do not have a problem

Thank you again