Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Vga Silencer

Okay I took off the old heatsink and fan all fine and applied the thermal paste, now I have to attach the VGA silencer's fan to the 9800pro. Well, the old saphire fan had a 3 pin fan connector and the new VGA silencer only has a two pin connector.

My question is can I splice the 3 connector cable from the old heasink onto the new vga silencer and leave the third wire unhooked. I just want to ask before I cut up the wires and void the warrenty.

Here is a picture of the two connectors:
    Image Resized
    [img]http://apunkrockmonk.250free.com/IM002932.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I got tired of waiting for a response and just did it, it worked fine.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    haha FORREAL these forums are slow as hell tonight...TALK FUCKERS
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by apunkrockmonk@11 August 2004 - 00:43
    In that case, Nope, it won't work.

J/k, the third wire is the tacho wire, it just reports the speed of the fan, and I'm not sure if there is anything to read tha fan sppeed anyway.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by lynx+10 August 2004 - 23:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 10 August 2004 - 23:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-apunkrockmonk@11 August 2004 - 00:43
    In that case, Nope, it won&#39;t work.

J/k, the third wire is the tacho wire, it just reports the speed of the fan, and I&#39;m not sure if there is anything to read tha fan sppeed anyway. [/b][/quote]
    I figured that, I was just hoping that they didn&#39;t build in somthing that disabled the card if the fan failed (or if the wire was disconnected for that matter). I just posted again to alert anyone else with the same question. After hours of searching I found someone on another forum with the same question... they never posted the result though.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mattesca's Avatar Poster
    How do u like ur vga silencer
    AMD Mobile 2400XP @ 2500Mhz 1.75Vcore = 2.5Ghz
    Abit NF7-S with SP-97 heatsink
    OCZ 2X256MB Pc3200 2-2-2-5
    Antec 400watt PSU
    120GB WD HDD
    MSI 9800XT
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Black Chieftec Matrix w/ 5BlueLED Case Fans
    800watt Sony/Bose Speaker System

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    It lowered my case temp and cpu temp some. It is very queit on the high setting as well. I don&#39;t have a temp censor on my video card but the air coming out the back of the vga silencer is quite warm, so its doing its job. Well worth the &#036;15 I paid for it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I just installed one of these yesterday on my 9800 Pro, god it was scary trying to get those pins off that hold the original heatsink to the board.

Had to use a stanley knife in the end &#39;cos they wouldn&#39;t budge, had to be sooo careful not to slip.

Got the thing installed now and it&#39;s running 5C cooler (my HD&#39;s were heating up to mobo temps as well, that has stopped*) and the fan is whisper quiet.

*There was defeintly a problem with hot air from the card building up in the box.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Glad to hear your install was a success. Was your card a saphire?

Also I think I heard (I could just be blowing smoke) the the rev4s which are coming out soon are copper.... which would kinda piss me off.... but I only paid &#036;15, I could always get the copper one if it is that much better.

Was the base of your VGA silencer kinda rough? Mine was, I plan on lapping it in a few days.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by apunkrockmonk@14 August 2004 - 12:27
    Glad to hear your install was a success. Was your card a saphire?

Also I think I heard (I could just be blowing smoke) the the rev4s which are coming out soon are copper.... which would kinda piss me off.... but I only paid &#036;15, I could always get the copper one if it is that much better.

Was the base of your VGA silencer kinda rough? Mine was, I plan on lapping it in a few days.
    I didn&#39;t do any lapping, seems a bit of overkill now that everything is running at great temps.

Edit: My card is one of the Evesham ones.

http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/Displa...43-2A672531F699

Good card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast