Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me With Doom 3

Poster
    Hi guys,

I've been playing Doom 3 for a few days but it keeps freezing after 4 minutes

I have to force my PC to restart with the reset button. I think it may be down to my newbie knowledge. I play the game mounted on a virtual drive. I only have 1 virtual drive open and this contains CD1 only.

When I get to the part of the game when the little robot kills the zombies and takes out the 3 imps theres an elevator that takes you out of Mars City. When I go in the elevator (and press the control panel to moe the lift) the game goes black and 'once again' freezes.

Am I mounting the game wrong?

Are you supposed to mount all three disks at the same time?

All replies are appreciated

2. Games   -   #2
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    u don't need to play it mounted. get a no cd crack

3. Games   -   #3
    TheRealDave's Avatar †Problem child
    What are your specs? Also do you have latest drivers?

4. Games   -   #4
    Poster
    abu_has_the_power,

I'm a total newbie so all I know is,

1. I downloaded it and installed it. It plays with Daemon tools on 1 virtual drive (CD1)

2. I can't burn it because I don't have a DVD burner

3. I found the crack on CD1 and cut and pasted it in the Doom 3 folder on my HD. The game ran after I did this.

TheRealDave,

I have a FX GeForce FX 5200 with 512 DDR ram. The processor is the Athlon 2.1. I can play the game on medium quality with an OK frame rate. The game keeps freezing and I have to keep hitting the restart buttom on my tower case to reboot my PC This happens every 4 to 8 minutes during gameplay. I have installed the lastest drivers (to the best of my knowledge) on the Nvidia site. Doom 3 ships with DirectX 9 and intalls with the game (I think).

My PC 'blue screens' sometimes when I'm just browing the net When I boot my PC it loads mIrc and then goes straight to the WINNIT folder.

Something is wrong but I have absolutely no idea what to do

I've heard that you have to delete your old direct X driver before installing an updated one or you get 'blue screen' problems.

I want to continue with the game. I've just got the hang of it..................

5. Games   -   #5
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    don't call ur self a n00b, ur just degrading urself since u alreday know ur specs and wat fps i means . anyway, i think it is either 3 things that is causing this:

1) 100% cpu usage
    2) overheating
    3) u don't have latest drivers and/or directx 9.0b/c

for number 1) on ur desktop, click ctrl-alt-del and bring up task manager, click on the process tab (if u dont have a process tab then ur not running xp, and if ur not running xp doom3 wont work). and look on the bottom for cpu usage, if it reads 100% then PM me and i'll send u detailed instructions on how to fix it up, also if it is 100% then check to see wat is hogging up system resources, mostly likely the svchost.exe.

for number 2) all i can say is get urself a good cooling system, especially during the summer, my comp can reach temps of up to 50 degrees C while playing doom3

for number 3) go to http://www.nvidia.com and download the latest drivers (i believe they are 67.77? not sure, just check). and then go to http://www.microsoft.com and download direct x 9.0c

and if none of these are the problems then i'm stumped, maybe something to do wit ur bios? is ur card pci or agp? hope atleast one of these helps

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

6. Games   -   #6
    I had that problem too. I think it worked after i messed around with the graphic settings. I went from low quality to medium. I have no idea why it did this, but I think it had something to do with my graphics card.

I think i also changed the config file. I changed some of the settings that i found in one of the topics here.

I have no idea why i had the same error as you. all i remember is what is did and it worked somehow afterwards.

7. Games   -   #7
    Poster
    Thanks guys

cpt_azad,

I'm using Windows 2000 Professional. Do you think this might be the root of the problem?

When I try to see the task manager it cuts off and theres a strange 'moniter' green icon in my system tray to the right. It disappears when I place the mouse cursor over this icon. Has anyone else experienced this?

I doubt it's overheating because my PC cover has been removed and I have aircon in my bedroom.

I've dl'd the lastest driver for my FX 5200. I think I may have two directX drivers running at once which causes the game to freeze/crash but I can't confirm or have the knowledge to fix this :helpsmile:

wienerschnitzel,

I've tried messing around with different quality settings and reducing the advanced effect setings with no avail. What was the 'config file' settings that you altered that you found in one of the topics here?

If you had the same problems as me then I would imagine this might solve my issue too :helpsmile:

8. Games   -   #8
    well, the game was designed for windows xp, but it should work on 2000, i think theres a patch out, i'll go find it and give u the link to it. also, u cannot run 2 directx drivers at once as that would really screw up ur comp (kind of like a contradiction). the config file he referred too is in the pinned doom3 thread, look for it in gameworld, it's on the top with like 700+ posts (started by urs truly ). as for ctrl alt del, u wont be able to get the processes tab as far as i know.

9. Games   -   #9
    hmmm, i only found a win 98/ME fix, no windows 2000 fix which either means the fix isn't out yet, or it should run perfectly fine on windows 2000, i'm guessin the latter for ur case. try messing wit the config, if u mess up too much, just delete it and start the game, the game will automatically create a new config file so no worries.

10. Games   -   #10
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    i still think its overheating...

download speed fan and check your temps

My Blog
    I'm still here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast