Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.s. Women Vs. Greece In Olympics

mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    If you are reading this now.... Wed. 7:30 a.m. (PST).....10:30 a.m. (EST).
    a reminder that the game is on MSNBC - Right now!

USA vs Greece in Women's Soccer from the isle of Crete in the first game of the 2004 Olympics.

FINAL SCORE

USA.......3
    Greece...0

The United States Women's Soccer team, looking to re-establish its supremacy after disappointing finishes in the 2000 Olympics and 2003 World Cup, continues first-round play Saturday against Brazil in the only Olympic sport that began play before Friday's opening ceremony.

Cheers!
    :beerchug:

mrlessk

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by mrlessk@11 August 2004 - 15:31
    ...in the only Olympic sport that began play before Friday's opening ceremony....
    UMMM, which sport?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi@11 August 2004 - 11:40
    UMMM, which sport?
    Perfectly logical question.

....for those not yet following the 2004 Olympics Schedule that began today
    we are talking about....Women's Soccer

Recap of the Game

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Here's the recap - courtesy of a USOC press release.
    HERAKLIO, Greece (August 11, 2004) - The U.S. Women's National Team rolled over Greece in the first match of Group G at the 2004 Olympics, winning 3-0 as Shannon Boxx and Abby Wambach scored in the first half and Mia Hamm added a clincher late in the game.

On a beautiful evening at Pankritio Stadium, set smack on the coast of the island of Crete, the Greeks put some early defensive pressure on the USA but then dropped back into their own half in a 4-5-1 formation, often having at least seven or eight players at the top of their penalty area. The USA played in a 4-4-2, with Hamm and Wambach up top, and had trouble finding space through the middle of the Greek bunker defense, and thus the two first-half goals came from the flanks.

The first goal came in the 14th minute when Hamm twisted Angeliki Lagoumtzi to the ground on the left flank with a razor-sharp cut-back move, then drilled a skipping left-footed cross into the middle. Wambach let the ball roll through her legs to the onrushing Boxx, who hammered her first-time left-footed shot into the left corner from 12 yards out. It was Boxx's 11th international goal and came in her first-ever Olympic appearance.

The second goal came 16 minutes later off some nifty work from defender Kate Markgraf down the left flank. She settled a blocked Hamm shot, then dribbled past a defender and bent a cross that dropped right between two defenders to an unmarked Wambach, who lofted a perfectly-placed header over diving Greek goalkeeper Maria Giatrakis, dropping the ball into the left side netting. The score gave the 5-foot-11 striker 15 goals in last 16 games, and was the 29th of her career. It was her first goal in Olympic competition.

The USA could have added a few more goals in the first half as they peppered the Greek net with 15 shots before the break, two of which caught woodwork, as Aly Wagner hammered a shot off the top of the cross bar in the fifth minute and Boxx hit the right post with a shot off a flicked-on corner kick in the seventh. Right before that chance, midfielder Kristine Lilly hammered a shot from a sharp angle that Giatrakis had to palm over the goal.

The Greeks defended gamely, but didn't see much of the ball during the match, as lone forward Dimitra Panteleiadou ran her heart out chasing the U.S. backs and eventually was replaced to a round of applause in the 76th minute. When Greece did string together possession several times, the home crowd of about 16,000 roared in appreciation.

Giatrakis played a fine match for Greece in goal, making just five saves as many U.S. shots flew over the net, but she was rock solid on high balls, many of which bent toward her and away from crashing U.S. attackers.

Wambach had a fine game for the U.S. playing with her back to the goal, holding the ball on the front line and often dropping into midfield to play-make, but it was her strike-partner Hamm who grabbed the final score.

In the 81st minute, Hamm collected an errant touch in the Greek defensive third then dribbled into the penalty area, cut inside on a defender and bent her left-footed shot around Giatrakis, who got her right glove on the ball, but couldn't stop it from hitting the left post and rolling into the net. The USA fired 11 shots after the break, but could only find the net through Hamm.

Greece had perhaps its best chance in the 48th minute on a free kick from 28 yards out, but the shot hit the American wall before being cleared. Greece did have two late corner kicks that excited the crowd, but neither troubled U.S. goalkeeper Briana Scurry, who picked up the 70th shutout of her career.

In the other Olympic women's matches played at the same time, Germany pulled off one of the most impressive results in Olympic history, crushing China 8-0. Japan also pulled off an upset of sorts, defeating 2003 Women's World Cup runner-up Sweden, 1-0. In the other Group G game, Brazil beat Australia, 1-0.

The U.S. team will travel north to Thessaloniki tomorrow in preparation for its next match on Saturday, Aug. 14, against Brazil at Kaftanzoglio Stadium. That match kicks off at 6 p.m. local / 11 a.m. ET and will be broadcast live on CNBC.

Author: Aaron Heifetz
    Organization: U.S. Soccer Federation
    Phone: Greece: 210-003-0801; U.S.: 619-482-6176
    <span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>What&#39;s your <span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>favorite Olympic sport</span>?</span>

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi+11 August 2004 - 14:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darth Sushi @ 11 August 2004 - 14:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mrlessk@11 August 2004 - 15:31
    ...in the only Olympic sport that began play before Friday&#39;s opening ceremony....
    UMMM, which sport? [/b][/quote]
    USA vs Greece in Women&#39;s Soccer from the isle of Crete in the first game of the 2004 Olympics.

The United States Women&#39;s Soccer team, looking to re-establish its supremacy after disappointing finishes in the 2000 Olympics
    Not a very logical question.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by Busyman@12 August 2004 - 18:48
    Not a very logical question. &nbsp;
    You&#39;re a day late and a dollar short. The post was E D I T E D &#33; Yesterday&#33;

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi+12 August 2004 - 15:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darth Sushi @ 12 August 2004 - 15:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@12 August 2004 - 18:48
    Not a very logical question.
    You&#39;re a day late and a dollar short. The post was E D I T E D &#33; Yesterday&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I figured as much but it was still funny.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #8
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Busyman+12 August 2004 - 12:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman &#064; 12 August 2004 - 12:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi@12 August 2004 - 15:04
    <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman
    @12 August 2004 - 18:48
    Not a very logical question. &nbsp;

You&#39;re a day late and a dollar short. The post was E D I T E D &#33; Yesterday&#33;
    I figured as much but it was still funny. [/b][/quote]

Hi folks,
    I was wondering if someone would not notice my edit, then view Darth Sushi&#39;s post and wonder just what he was talking about.

Darth Sushi was absolutely correct in pointing out to me an important detail where I had not specified exactly which sport I was addressing. Certainly many readers would be left dazed, confused and wondering the same thing.
    This is not good journalism practice or news reporting....my bad&#33;

Indeed, Darth Sushi&#39;s reply to my post prompted me to edit the original post later on for clarification.
    I suppose when I was composing it initially I presumed that everyone would know that I was talking about Women&#39;s Soccer....wrong assumption on my part.

Anyway, in my haste to get that posted, and since the game was about to start, there is yet another inconsistency in my original post that so far no one has pointed out to me....

....Can you find it? It&#39;s fairly obvious.

Regards,
    mrlessk

Sportsworld Update:
    You may already know that the Iraqi Mens Soccer Team just completed a 4-2 win over favored Portugal.
    Just thought I&#39;d throw that in, this being Sportsworld and all.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Originally posted by mrlessk+12 August 2004 - 16:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrlessk &#064; 12 August 2004 - 16:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Anyway, in my haste to get that posted, and since the game was about to start, there is yet another inconsistency in my original post that so far no one has pointed out to me....

....Can you find it? It&#39;s fairly obvious.
    [/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Title of thread

If you are reading this now.... Wed. 7:30 a.m. (PST).....10:30 a.m. (EST).
    a reminder that the game is on MSNBC - Right now&#33;
    [/quote]

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Lounge   -   #10
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Busyman
    ....is on MSNBC - Right now&#33;
    ....on Right Now&#33; CNBC
    BINGO&#33;....
    We have a weiner....err....winna&#33;

Busyman....you were the first to post with the correct response
    (in fact you were the only one to post any response)

Anyway, a big WTG and three :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: to Busyman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast