Thread: Connect Three Comps.

Poster
    I have a computer connected to the internet via USB, it is a DSL connection.
    I don't have a Network Card on one computer and I want to connect two other computers to the same internet connection. The two other computers have both NIC and USB.How do I connect the three computers to the internet? what kind of router should I buy....
    note that the internet is provided using USB and not a network card.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    get a network card in each and a network hub. put the modem in the pc which will be on most and use internet connection sharing

may not be the best way but it works for us

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I&#39;ve never though of that, but will it work with USB modem?
    thanks
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Get a router, wireless if it&#39;s more convenient. In fact just get a wireless one, it makes things easier.

Connect the router to the modem. If your router does not have a USB port (for connection to the modem), then simply get converter.

Connect the computers to the router, again wireless if you prefer not to run cables.

A usb linksys wireless connection will cost £25 for B and about £50 for G. I use B as it transfers the information as fast as I can get it from the interweb anyway. So you do not need any physical lan connections, other than the router to modem.

The router will do the rest of the work for you. It will set up the DHCP table and so forth, so all you need to do is plug in the usb devices and install them. They are powered by the port to no seperate power cable.

That is the simplest and mose effective way of doing it. The router will also provide you with a hardware firewall and make your lan invisible to the interweb. Unless you choose to make it otherwise.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Great&#33; I only need to get the router + converter
    thanks

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    But don&#39;t you need ,wireless network cards installed in the other two computers? For a wireless network I mean. Found this while googling for more info, hope it helps others.

http://compnetworking.about.com/