Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External Hard Drive

Cheers you guys! :beerchug:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Twist3r
    were can you get one of these enclosures i havent ever heard of it befor but it sounds great

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by Twister@13 August 2004 - 02:00
    were can you get one of these enclosures i havent ever heard of it befor but it sounds great 

You can get one with USB 2.0 and Firewire ports here. Just an example, and don't forget you will need to buy the appropriate Firewire or USB cables to connect it, oh and don't forget a Hard drive to go in it!

Unless ofcourse you already got some spare leads and an old HD kicking around in which case you're sorted!

Interesting, now i'm thinking of getting one myself now!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    could you put an existing hard drive in it that already has files in it, and access it that way? or do you have to do a reformat procedure & such before you put it in the enclosure?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by lee551@12 August 2004 - 21:10
    could you put an existing hard drive in it that already has files in it, and access it that way? or do you have to do a reformat procedure & such before you put it in the enclosure?
    moving a drive from an internal connector to a firewire shell should not require a reformat, especially if it's just a storage disk (i.e. it isn't the drive which the operating system is installed on). as long as the system understands how to use the IDE-to-Firewire/USB adapter, it'll be fine... the drive itself is not "aware" of how it is connected.

if you try to do that with a drive which contains the operating system, you might need to perform a system repair (aka "partial reinstall") with your operating system CD in order to re-configure its startup process... but even that should not necessarily require a reformat.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+13 August 2004 - 07:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 13 August 2004 - 07:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lee551@12 August 2004 - 21:10
    could you put an existing hard drive in it that already has files in it, and access it that way? or do you have to do a reformat procedure & such before you put it in the enclosure?&nbsp;
    moving a drive from an internal connector to a firewire shell should not require a reformat, especially if it&#39;s just a storage disk (i.e. it isn&#39;t the drive which the operating system is installed on). as long as the system understands how to use the IDE-to-Firewire/USB adapter, it&#39;ll be fine... the drive itself is not "aware" of how it is connected.

if you try to do that with a drive which contains the operating system, you might need to perform a system repair (aka "partial reinstall") with your operating system CD in order to re-configure its startup process... but even that should not necessarily require a reformat. [/b][/quote]
    thanks for the info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12