Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Hard Drive

Hi,

Was thinking of getting an External USB2 Hard Drive for backing up and also for general extra storage space.
    Fisrtly, Are they worth getting? If so why or why not?
    Is it easy to back up all of comp. on External?
    What kind of size should I be thinking of getting?
    Can anyone recommend a good one to get (Im in UK)?

Cheers

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    How much money can you spend?

'cos there's everything from buying a multiport and just mounting an old hd in there to this if you have the money.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mattesca's Avatar Poster
    I just take my internal drive out if i wana take data....I dont do it often though. If you are gona move it ALOT, I would recommend buying an external thing if you dont want to spend alot.
    AMD Mobile 2400XP @ 2500Mhz 1.75Vcore = 2.5Ghz
    Abit NF7-S with SP-97 heatsink
    OCZ 2X256MB Pc3200 2-2-2-5
    Antec 400watt PSU
    120GB WD HDD
    MSI 9800XT
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Black Chieftec Matrix w/ 5BlueLED Case Fans
    800watt Sony/Bose Speaker System

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I got about £100
    And I wanna take alot of stuff to my Friends comp. too, So I can't really keep taking my existing hard drive out.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by BILLY-THE-FISH@11 August 2004 - 22:09
    I got about £100
    And I wanna take alot of stuff to my Friends comp. too, So I can't really keep taking my existing hard drive out.

I'm using the Maxtor 250gig External Hard Drive, which uses USB 2 or Firewire.. it's good, for storage of MP3's and backing stuff up but I think it maybe out your price range.

However I did find smaller capacity external HD's for under a ton here.. hope this helps!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Try buying the drive and enclosure separate it may save you some in the long run..I have a very old laptop hardrive 1.4gb in a enclosure it's great for moving files quickly from one pc to another...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Colt Seevers+11 August 2004 - 22:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colt Seevers @ 11 August 2004 - 22:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH@11 August 2004 - 22:09
    I got about £100
    And I wanna take alot of stuff to my Friends comp. too, So I can&#39;t really keep taking my existing hard drive out.

I&#39;m using the Maxtor 250gig External Hard Drive, which uses USB 2 or Firewire.. it&#39;s good, for storage of MP3&#39;s and backing stuff up but I think it maybe out your price range.

However I did find smaller capacity external HD&#39;s for under a ton here.. hope this helps&#33; [/b][/quote]
    We haven&#39;t seen you around for a while, Colt. Are you likely to be staying long this time? Or just popping in?

I agree with accat13&#39;s suggestion about getting an external drive case and fitting your own drive, it does tend to be a lot cheaper.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Colt Seevers+11 August 2004 - 20:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colt Seevers &#064; 11 August 2004 - 20:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH@11 August 2004 - 22:09
    I got about £100
    And I wanna take alot of stuff to my Friends comp. too, So I can&#39;t really keep taking my existing hard drive out.

I&#39;m using the Maxtor 250gig External Hard Drive, which uses USB 2 or Firewire.. it&#39;s good, for storage of MP3&#39;s and backing stuff up but I think it maybe out your price range.

However I did find smaller capacity external HD&#39;s for under a ton here.. hope this helps&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Cheers Colt..&#33;
    They look good, Do you use the one button back-up? and how exactly does that work? does it make a complete copy of all files and programs including installed?
    always wondered....

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Hi,

Billy I can&#39;t comment on the one button back-up function as I&#39;ve never used it.

I believe the drive came with some software that you install - then the button works... I never bought for this use though, just for storing stuff. As the other guys suggested if you&#39;re on a really tight budget a seperate drive and enclosure is the probably gonna cost you even fewer pennies&#33; Which is always good&#33;

@ Lynx just popping in, although I do lurk from time to time, so I can do some catching up on the wonderful world of P2P&#33;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by accat13@11 August 2004 - 22:09
    Try buying the drive and enclosure separate it may save you some in the long run..I have a very old laptop hardrive 1.4gb in a enclosure it&#39;s great for moving files quickly from one pc to another...
    Yep, this is a better option, I have a 120 gig drive in an enclosure. Its cheaper and easy to upgrade - just replace the drive inside.
    Robert00000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast