Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fight Back Against Fake P2p Sites

DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Scam Sites - A New Threat To P2P

The RIAA and MPAA have been a constant threat in the P2P world. While they pose some danger to the activities of online users, it is one that can be sufficiently handled with the proper application of intellect. Even to newcomers in the file-sharing world, it is hard to escape the media blitz the RIAA's lawsuit campaign is receiving.

Looking to avoid potentially devastating RIAA lawsuits, many individuals have been duped into paying for P2P software that is already free. The most infamous of these scams is Kazaa Gold. Kazaa Gold is basically the gepzaa Media Desktop Pro version that someone downloaded, then offered the software for the ridiculous price of $39.95.

While Kazaa has been corrupted most frequently by unscrupulous individuals, other P2P software such as WinMX has also been bastardized. One will notice that one can pay up to $22.95 for access to already free networks such as eDonkey2000, Morpheus, Grokster, Limewire. These website are also cunning as they display shameful quotes such as "The real legal download source on [the] Internet," or "100% legal." While file-sharing software is indeed legal, the copyright variable is typically tucked away.

So far, the only P2P network to make any kind of effort to eliminate this deceptive software is Sharman Networks. Last year, Sharman sent Google a DMCA violation notice to remove links to Kazaa Gold. The effort was initially successful, however if one was to conduct a search for Kazaa Gold today, numerous results to this ghastly software still exists.

WinMX has become perhaps the second most violated program. Considering the lack of updates and little information on the official WinMX website, those looking for an update may easily fall for one of the many scamware sites. Some sites are making it available for $14.95. Unfortunately, FrontCode Technologies (the legitimate intellectual property rights owner of WinMX) has made zero effort to combat this issue.

The most frightening aspect of these scamware sites is their proliferation. As more people become aware of the RIAA's lawsuits, individuals are becoming victim to the allure of such phrases as "100% legal."

With Google’s "hear no evil, see no evil" policy, the only way these programs can be combated is by the P2P developers. P2P United, who claims to stand up for the file-sharing community, can make tremendous strides in gaining public favor by aggressively pursuing such scam sites that victimize not only the users, but also the members of this lobby group. It is indeed an odd situation that Sharman Networks has been the only file-sharing company to make any kind of effort in this arena.

Article by Slyck Tom

It's widely accepted that P2P scam sites are the scum of the earth, yet very little has been done to combat them. You can help fight back against the proliferation of these sites though, by donating some of your spare bandwidth to help take down these scam sites. By contributing, you will be making it very costly for these scam sites to operate, and many will close their doors.

By donating your free bandwidth to this project, you will be helping to insure a brighter future for peer-to-peer as we know it. Together, we can take P2P back!

This is a haxor41789 project.

Take back p2p

The same principle as the fake bank attack

2. Lounge   -   #2
    *Grunt*
    makes a change i suppose

3. Lounge   -   #3
    It was talked about the other day in the scam bank thread so I thought this would interest people

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    It's for a good cause.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    People often say, "What can I do about it, I'm just one person".

However if you get a lot of "just one person"s together it's amazing what you can achieve.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by J'Pol@10 August 2004 - 21:19
    People often say, "What can I do about it, I'm just one person".

However if you get a lot of "just one person"s together it's amazing what you can achieve.
    I agree, I hate it when people use that saying.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by danb@10 August 2004 - 22:03
    It was talked about the other day in the scam bank thread so I thought this would interest people
    I'd actually prefer to bring down these sites than the banking ones, but I've got a few of my friends helping with the bank fight, so I'll probably have to stick with that one for a short while.

Although I'll definitely channel some bandwidth into these sometime next week
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I like this idea more than the bank one as well.

Let's take down some scammers.

9. Lounge   -   #9

10. Lounge   -   #10
    TheRealDave's Avatar †Problem child
    gepzaa

Looking to avoid potentially devastating RIAA lawsuits, many individuals have been duped into paying for P2P software that is already free. The most infamous of these scams is Kazaa Gold. Kazaa Gold is basically the gepzaa Media Desktop Pro version that someone downloaded, then offered the software for the ridiculous price of $39.95.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast