Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Governor Quits, Comes Out As Gay

ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Gov. McGreevey announces resignation after telling of affair

(CNN) -- Dropping a political bombshell, New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey announced his resignation Thursday after revealing that he is gay and that he carried on an adulterous affair with a man.

Speaking at a packed press conference in the Statehouse in Trenton, New Jersey, McGreevey admitted to an affair with a man and asked for his family's forgiveness.

"It was wrong. It was foolish. It was inexcusable," he said.And McGreevey said he was stepping down from the state's highest office.

McGreevey said his affair and sexuality -- "if kept secret" -- would leave the governor's office "vulnerable to rumors, false allegations and threats of disclosure."

McGreevey, a first-term Democrat, took office in January 2002. His term wasn't due to expire until January 2006.

Senate President Richard Codey, another Democrat, will replace McGreevey as the state's chief executive; the state has no lieutenant governor's office.

A Quinnipiac University poll released August 4 showed McGreevey's approval among state voters fell sharply after two Democratic fund-raisers were indicted on federal charges in July -- one of them accused of lining up prostitutes to discredit a witness in a tax fraud investigation, the other accused of extortion.

McGreevey and his wife, Dina, have a 2-year-old daughter, and he has another daughter from a previous marriage

Source

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    The republicans will now beat their chest to rally the bible thumpers and this will give Rush Limbo a woody

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    This would never have happened if he had been allowed to marry a man in the first place

He has his reasons for doing what he has on the political side. I don't approve of adultery however i don't see a connection between this and the way he did his job. I confess i know little of the man and his record politically for better or worse.

Being gay doesn't mean that one is incabable of doing a good job.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by vidcc@12 August 2004 - 18:00
    This would never have happened if he had been allowed to marry a man in the first place

He has his reasons for doing what he has on the political side. I don't approve of adultery however i don't see a connection between this and the way he did his job. I confess i know little of the man and his record politically for better or worse.

Being gay doesn't mean that one is incabable of doing a good job.
    He apparently has the gumption to resign due to the fact his male paramour was moved to attempt blackmail, and he realized his vulnerablity thereto.

I wish him luck and willingly tip my hat to his decision not to sublimate the interests of the people of New Jersey to his own.

I hope he is treated with respect within and without his political party.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I have to agree J2K4.

I have to respect anyone, that will not submit to Blackmail and will Resign with honour if his judgement is called into question.

As vidcc has said, it doesnt matter what colour, sex or sexuality you are to do the job. I disagree however in what they do in their personal life does not affect the job.. If they are openly Gay, then fine..however if they are "In the Closet...".....

If they put themselves in a position where they can be Blackmailed, then they should not be in office.

This guy wouldnt stand for being Blackmailed, the very fact he came out of the closet so to speak, to stop himself being in that position.... to me, makes him a very GOOD candidate for the job.

Its a shame therefore, that he has to resign.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I would agree with the Rat Face. The fact that he has resigned means he probably is the right person for the job. Ironic isn't it?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@13 August 2004 - 13:50
    If they are openly Gay, then fine..however if they are "In the Closet...".....

Firstly when i posted my original the blackmail part hadn't been raised, or at least nothing was mentioned on the news report i had seen.

@ Rat why should anyone have to be open about their sexuality? it's nobodies concern. Do you think that a homosexual that didn't admit it when running for office should resign because had someone just "outed" him? of course not

I see here a man that had an adulterous affair...why should it be any worse because it was a homsexual adulterous affair.
    He did the right thing and came out to avoid the "scandal" but i still see no reason why the homosexuality part should make any difference.

now he himself has stated that it was affecting his ability to do his job, but i feel that it was the blackmail rather than the homosexuality that caused this. I see no difference between this and the same situation had he had an attempted blackmail for a hetrosexual affair.

Now the political mischief makers are calling for this man to leave NOW, instead of november.
    The truth is out so the reason for the scandal is no longer an issue to his ability to continue until november.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    vidcc,

you misunderstand...

I said, that the guy came out of the closet to stop himself being blackmailed...

The fact he did this makes him GOOD for a Public Office.

Its a shame he's resigning.

ANYTHING that leaves a public official open to Blackmail is bad... whether its a hetro affair or he's a Gay "In the Closet" for whatever reason, or he's hiding any other type of skelton in his/her closet that he finds strong enough to be Blackmailed about.

If they are open and above board, they cannot be blackmailed.... its that simple.

I dont give a crap whether they are having affairs left, right and centre with men, women or sheep.... as long as they arent trying to hide the fact and leaving themselves open.

One of the things I found endearing about Clinton, was he was so damn indiscrete... no one could Blackmail him over his affairs.

They were headliners usually

I'd agree, its no ones business what someones sexuality is.

However, there are people that will take advantage of this, unfortunatly... that is the way of the world

If you have already told the world your Gay, then fine... otherwise stay celibate until your terms over...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    didn't misunderstand.. just asking why the homosexuality bit should make any difference to the crime

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by vidcc@13 August 2004 - 16:52
    didn't misunderstand.. just asking why the homosexuality bit should make any difference to the crime
    What crime?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast