Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Fantasy Authors?

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Another Fantasy thread

Personally I'm really into Erikson's malazan books of the fallen at the moment.

http://www.malazanempire.com/

But Pratchett is probably one of the best authors I've ever read otherwise.

And when it comes to fantsy and sc-fi I'd wager anyone would call the amount of novels I've read so far, a lot.

Eddings is a bit silly, as it always falls into place too easy.

Donaldson is good, and I like the gap novels too.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Moorcock...one of my old favourites....

I have over 60 of his books in my collection, yet I think he has written well over 100. (Although they tend to be rather short....lmao)

Each of his books, heroes and stories are interlinked in some way through the multiverse concept. Each hero being a different incarnation or sometimes alternate reality of himself. The more you read, the more complex the themes become as characters from apparently unrelated books pop in to stories....then you spot another link and so on.

I highly recommend the 'Dancers at the End of time' trilogy for just plain oddness...the elric, erikose, callum novels are the eternal hero incarnation stories that weave and intertwine.

Moorcock is an old English hippy and has collaborated with the band Hawkwind on occasion. The 'Chronicles of the Black Sword' album is directly related to the Elric books.

Also....

He has written a highly regarded historical novel 'Mother London' which shows his range as a writer beyond the pure fantasy.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Raymond E Feist has to be one of my favourites.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. Lounge   -   #14
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    How about the series by Stephen Donaldson.
    THE CHRONICLES OF THOMAS COVENANT THE UNBELIEVER
    Book One: LORD FOUL'S BANE
    Book Two: THE ILLEARTH WAR
    Book Three: THE POWER THAT PRESERVES
    Secon Chronicles
    THE WOUNDED LAND
    THE ONE TREE
    WHITE GOLD WIELDER
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I can't believe no one mentioned Ursula K. Le Guin, she's my favorite fantasy author bar-none.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    david622's Avatar Procrastinator
    JK Rowling ^_^

Ursula Le Guin was alright, I wasn't crazy about Earthsea though I didn't dislike it either.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Poster
    Ursula Le Guin is ok,"Gifts" was nicely written.
    Alison Croggon - The Gift is one of my fav,the next book she wrote ,The Riddle, is already out but it's not out in Singapore yet :-(
    then there's Kate Constable's Chanters of Tremaris trilogy,i loved both of the first two and can't wait to read the last.
    Last edited by human_pet; 06-05-2005 at 10:00 AM.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Poster
    Stephen King - The Dark Tower series.

And of course JK Rowling - Harry Potter

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Some Tad Williams stuff

War of the Flowers
    Theo Vilmos is a thirty-year-old lead singer in a not terribly successful rock band. Once, he had enormous, almost magical, charisma both onstage and off—but now, life has taken its toll on Theo. Hitting an all-time low, he seeks refuge in a isolated cabin in the woods—and reads an odd memoir written by a dead relative who believed he had visited the magical world of Faerie. And before Theo can disregard the account as the writings of a madman, he, too, is drawn to a place beyond his wildest dreams...a place filled with be, and has always been, his destiny.

Great book,nice to find a fantasy story in one book.

THE DRAGONBONE CHAIR
    Book One of Memory, Sorrow & Thorn

The Dragonbone Chair is the story of Simon, a young kitchen boy and magician's apprentice, whose dreams of great deeds and heroic wars come all too shockingly true when his world is torn apart by a terrifying civil war — a war fueled by ancient hatreds, immortal enemies, and the dark powers of sorcery.

In Osten Ard, a land once ruled by an elvishlike race known as the Sithi, the human high King is dying. And with his death, a long-dormant evil is unleashed on the land as the undead Sithi ruler, the Storm King, seeks to regain his lost realm through a pact with one of human royal blood. Driven by spell-inspired jealousy and fear, prince fights prince, while around them the very land begins to die, poisoned by a sorcerous force sworn to annihilate the humans whose ancestors had driven the Sithi from their rightful home long ages ago.

Only a small, scattered group, the League of the Scroll, recognizes the true danger faced by Osten Ard, only they hold the knowledge of times past, of threats fulfilled, and of a riddle of swords, which holds out the one small hope of salvation. And to Simon — unknowningly qpprenticed to a member of the League, and unwittingly touched by magic both good and ill — will go the task of spearheading the search for the solution to this riddle of long-lost swords of power, a quest that will see him fleeing and facing enemies straight out of a legend-maker's worst nightmare!

STONE OF FAREWELL
    Book Two of Memory, Sorrow & Thorn

In this mesmerizing sequel to The Dragonbone Chair, best-selling author Tad Williams returns us to the troubled realms of humans, Quanuc trolls, and Sithi, as the dark magic and terrigying minions of the undead Sithi ruler, Ineluki the Storm King, spread their seemingly undefeatable evil across the realm of Osten Ard.

As the very land is blighted by the power of Ineluki's wrath, the tattered remnants of a once-proud human army flee in search of a last sanctuary and rallying point —THE Stone of Farewell, a place shrouded in mystery and ancient sorrow. And the widely scattered surviving members of the League of the Scroll desperately struggle to fulfill missions which will take them from the fallen citadels of humans to the hidden mountain caves of the Qanuc...across storm-tormented waters to discover the truth behind an almost-forgotten legend...through a forest alive with dangers no human could hope to brave...to the secret heartland of the Sithi, where the near-immortals must at last decide whether to ally with the race of men in a final war against those of their own blood....

TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER
    Book Three of Memory, Sorrow & Thorn

A novel of vast scope, detail, and complexity, To Green Angel Tower is the momentous tour-de-force finale of a ground-breaking series. Replete with war, deception, adventure, sorcery, and romance, To Green Angel Tower brings to a stunning and surprising conclusion Tad Williams' monumental tale of a magical conflict which fractures the very fabric of time and space, turning both humans and Sithi against those of their own blood.

As the evil minions of the undead Sithi Storm King prepare for the kingdom-shattering culmination of their dark sorceries and King Elias is drawn ever deeper into their nightmarish, spell-spun world, the loyal allies of Prince Josua desperately struggle to rally their forces at The Stone of Farewell. And with time running out, the remaining members of the now-devastated League of the Scroll have also gathered there to unravel mysteries from the forgotten past. For if the League can reclaim these age-old secrets of magic long-buried beneath the dusts of time, they may be able to reveal to Josua and his army the only means of striking down the unslayable foe.

But whether or not the League is successful in its quest, the call of battle will lead the valiant followers of Josua Lackhand across storm tossed seas brimming with bloodthirsty kilpa...through forests swarming with those both mind- and soul-lost... through ancient caverns built by legendary Dwarrows...to the haunted halls of Asu'a itself—the Sithi's greatest stronghold!

Great fantasy,well worth the read,I think I'll read these again as its been a while since I read them,thats the mark of a good read

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Raymond E. Feist.

I'm really liking his latest stuff.. the Conclave of Shadows series... but I've been hooked ever since I read Magician, which is still his best work (IMHO)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast