Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Is Aol Crap?

oh yeah, my only experience is with their dialup service. So, maybe the DSL is better/worse. But yeah, AOL does suck, but not as much as people say nowadays. It's just "cool" to bash popular things as much as possible, so people jump on the badwagon.

If your friend's any good with computers, and wants as much power and much freedom as he/she can have, I would not recommend AOL. I'd just appreciate it if everyone got their facts straight before offering advice, and office real advice other than "it sucks". Thank you.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    <deleted due to duplicating below>
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Originally posted by supersonic+14 August 2004 - 21:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (supersonic &#064; 14 August 2004 - 21:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    No, you GIVE THEM your personal information, which is something every ISP has to have to provide you with a service.
    there is a difference between STEALING your personal information and the information you give them. According to what they say is that they don&#39;t use these information for BS, but they do&#33;[/b]
    They can&#39;t steal what you give them. They can pass it on (which is usually in their T&C & policy statements) but it&#39;s not stuff they&#39;ve clandestinely raided your hard drive or kitchen drawer for.

Originally posted by supersonic@14 August 2004 - 21:26
    What ads? All ISPs display ads.
    Thats not true, mine doesn&#39;t
    Not even an advert on their home page?

Another gem. While their email ain&#39;t what I&#39;d want, the majority of people I&#39;ve come across seem to be using online services rather than their ISP&#39;s anyway - so they can read it at work/school and at home.
    But their email SUCKS, they are supposed to be BETTER than other ISP, because Millions of noobs use AOL and their crappy email service.
    Why are they supposed to be better? WTF is that argument? Email is email, and some are better than others. Computer literate people appear to mostly use an online service, while n00bs use whatever their ISP sets up for them. If your savvy about computers then you prolly won&#39;t be signed up with them.

As is most ISP&#39;s. My Blueyonder space may be 25MB, but it&#39;s a poxy url and plain ol&#39; HTML is all I can use on it. sad.gif
    But their webspace is useless, because you can&#39;t even use the 5 MB (at the time I was using it) because of limitations. They put the webspace in all their ads as if it was...
    As if it&#39;s a selling point? Well, welcome to the 80s mate. This has been going on for years in every corner of life. Why does everyone in here recommend XP Pro Corp over Home? Because it&#39;s better? Do all these people know what&#39;s better about it? No they don&#39;t all know, and even those that do seem to assume that everyone should have the few extra features when the vast majority of home users won&#39;t even notice them. Just because a &#39;Pro&#39; version always has extra features, it must be the one to get and use.
    Marketing strategies make me wanna hurl sometimes, but this is the way it happens everywhere. Blimey, look at Bush, Blair, Thatcher, Reagan - they all rode in on spin and marketing. Emphasise your plus points or the opposition&#39;s failings enough and that&#39;s all the voting public will think about.
    I don&#39;t know about you, but I&#39;ve been second-guessing the real meaning to advertising for a looong time, and I&#39;ve been alerting my kids as well.

<!--QuoteBegin-supersonic
    @14 August 2004 - 21:26
    My brother hasn&#39;t - I wonder where it went?
    C&#39;mon Adaware detected it, who installed it then
    [/quote]I was removing crap from my brother&#39;s puter today (did his stepson put it on with Imesh?) and Spybot, Adaware and HijackThis didn&#39;t show up anything nasty connected to the AOL installation.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Originally posted by supersonic+14 August 2004 - 21:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (supersonic &#064; 14 August 2004 - 21:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    FTP? They even have an FTP service? Shit, I&#39;ve had providers without one and it doesn&#39;t impact the service in the least.
    Like I said "garbage", we&#39;re better without these crappy services that they fill their ads with.[/b]
    What difference does the quality of an FTP service make when you&#39;ve got MajorGeeks, Tucows, Download.com and Christ only knows how many other file repositories?

<!--QuoteBegin-supersonic
    @14 August 2004 - 21:26
    I&#39;ve used AOL for quite a while (years) and I don&#39;t think that they offer any good services. About AOL&#39;s changes and how it is not the same anymore, yea right, &#39;tis like I&#39;m ever going to believe. All I know that my ISP doesn&#39;t add #&#036;#&#036;ing services and ads that I don&#39;t need, and my computer NEVER crashed. Where using AOL was a night mare. You be the judge.[/quote]
    We can only speak from our experiences (well we&#39;re supposed to anyway) and mine have been much better than they were when AOL4 was the software. With all this talk about adverts your post sounds more like resentment.

Sorry about that, couldn&#39;t get all the quotes to show properly :">

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by Hitchhiker427@15 August 2004 - 00:29
    oh yeah, my only experience is with their dialup service. So, maybe the DSL is better/worse. But yeah, AOL does suck, but not as much as people say nowadays. It&#39;s just "cool" to bash popular things as much as possible, so people jump on the badwagon.

If your friend&#39;s any good with computers, and wants as much power and much freedom as he/she can have, I would not recommend AOL. I&#39;d just appreciate it if everyone got their facts straight before offering advice, and office real advice other than "it sucks". Thank you.
    Amen, brother

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Quote Originally Posted by Keikan,14 August 2004 - 14:23
    you have to use that crap browser program thing
    No you don&#39;t, you always needed to start their software in the past (they&#39;re certainly considering dropping this restriction, if they haven&#39;t already) but there has never been anything stopping you connecting with their software and then browsing with M&#036; IE (as opposed to the one &#39;inside&#39; their software), Netscrape (strangely, their own program and not in their software), Opera, Firefox, Mozilla, Mozarella, Cheddar or anything else you can get to view web pages.
    Well AOL&#39;s browser is based on IE and IE is bad.

Not being able to truely enjoy the internet freely
    I smell something familiar, reminding me of cattle.
    Nothing like the smell of a fresh cool glass of milk&#33;

you&#39;ll get im&#39;s asking you to look at whore&#39;s webcams
    Just like you do with other ISPs when you have Me&#036;&#036;enger, ICQ Hotmail or often just an ordinary email address.
    I use msn messenger and never get im from people i don&#39;t know; my isp email doesn&#39;t get spam

unnessary crap you will never use but you need to pay for
    Like all the shit you don&#39;t use in Windows and don&#39;t mind being there, for instance the calculator, Solitaire, WinMe&#036;&#036;enger, WIndows Movie Maker, WMP, System Restore... fuckit I&#39;m bored so I&#39;ll stop.
    I never will, never did pay for my windows but you need to pay for AOL (Broadband)
    this isn&#39;t a valid comparison

you need to make a lameass user name just to go on the internet
    Last I heard, you need a lame arsed username to use any ISP&#39;s internet service.
    Well here i don&#39;t need a username to double click on my browser and go to a website or connect to the internet and I&#39;m using one of your any isps

Quote Originally Posted by Keikan,14 August 2004 - 14:28
    aol has bad newsgroups
    No, AOL has a poor newsgroup service, but how many of the people visiting this forum actually know the benefits of them? Very few - probably less than 5%. As an example, there isn&#39;t a Newsgroup section in the filesharingtalk forums because there isn&#39;t enough interest.
    As a second point, people who are serious about using newsgroups for the things everyone coming here hold dear to their hearts, recommend paying for a premium service because most ISP ones are crap.
    I have great newsgroups unlimited downloading of anything

aol&#39;s population is made from people that are really really cheap and their kids
    Eh? What sort of argument is that?
    I&#39;m glad you asked that&#33; What is aol&#39;s best attraction? The 3 months free thing, so people can just go on for free because their too cheap to shell out 10 bucks (dialup).
    Their kids are also forced to use this even though they might know better.

aol is just plain lame
    Que? See previous.
    It&#39;s a simple statement aol is just plain lame.

aol has bad publicity
    Nice to see you carrying on in the same vein.
    Well why do so many people say it sucks?

aol is a company trying to monopolize the world
    They&#39;re all trying to take on the world. All da Freeserve customers in da h0wse say H0_o&#33; In Dutch.
    Well it&#39;s true aol is a company trying to monopolize the world.

they kind of cut you off to the www so you can slave all day in the aol portal with all the other idiots and cheapos
    Erm, wrong. My AOL-ed brother&#39;s homepage is not AOL&#39;s
    Your comment is in the wrong subject. I&#39;m not talking about webhosting.

[QUOTE]
    dumest customer support on earth
    Oh my, the irony&#33;
    Au contraire, AOL&#39;s customer support is second to none when ordinary customers have a problem. In fact I&#39;d go as far as to say it&#39;s possibly the best service I&#39;ve contacted - it&#39;s certainly better than NTL&#39;s over here&#33;I have talked to tech support about serious problems (not just prank phone calls) and they do not know what the hell I&#39;m talking about.

aol has had the same gui for 12 years
    Now you really are clutching at straws, aren&#39;t you?
    If i didn&#39;t accidentally wipe my hard drive clean I would post screen shots right now.

wrong. websites display ads, ads on aol are built in into the aol program meaning that isp displays ads
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Here, let me take a shot:

Well AOL&#39;s browser is based on IE and IE is bad.
    "IE is bad". This is simply an opinion and not a fact. In short, this is not a reason to dump AOL (the IE debate can be left to one of the many other threads)

I use msn messenger and never get im from people i don&#39;t know; my isp email doesn&#39;t get spam
    Yeah well, I used AOL for years, and never got junk from the instant messenger. But, I&#39;m sure that some people using it have. As you must be sure that people using MSN messenger have had the same.

I never will, never did pay for my windows but you need to pay for AOL (Broadband)
    Yeah, my windows is pirated too, so I&#39;m not gonna bash piracy, but still, Windows is a commercial program that you&#39;re supposed to pay for just as AOL is. The fact that people can illegally obtain Windows easier than they can pirate AOL Broadband has nothing to with that.

Well here i don&#39;t need a username to double click on my browser and go to a website or connect to the internet and I&#39;m using one of your any isps
    Heh, not gonna argue on that one, man. That was an annoying feature in AOL. Although, most dialup providers do require you to do that.

Yeah, those newsgroups are great to you, but they may be trash to someone else... just as AOL&#39;s newsgroups are great to some and trash to others.

I&#39;m glad you asked that&#33; What is aol&#39;s best attraction? The 3 months free thing, so people can just go on for free because their too cheap to shell out 10 bucks (dialup).
    Sorry man, but that has nothing to do with why someone shouldn&#39;t use AOL. A good decent person and a cheap bastard can both use the same type of software for different reasons, ya know. You have no argument there.

What the hell? This is practically saying "AOL is bad because it is lame". WTF? This is no decent point of argument&#33;

Yeah, and why do so many I&#39;ve talked to enjoy it? Simply opinion, my man.

Oh, give me a break. Just because the company itself might have ideals other than yours does not mean that a piece of software it produces is inherently "evil". Jeez, who cares if they&#39;re a monopoly? That&#39;s not a reason not to use the software.

Yeah, I got what you were saying man, and just because Chewie&#39;s comment wasn&#39;t actually the same point you were going for, doesn&#39;t mean that you are right. In fact, you aren&#39;t even partially right. AOL doesn&#39;t close you into any sort of portal at all. True, you can enter many AOL only areas full of other AOL users, but you can just as easily go to any other website and community if you&#39;d rather.

I have talked to tech support about serious problems (not just prank phone calls) and they do not know what the hell I&#39;m talking about.
    Heh, yeah, I&#39;m not going to defend their tech support. That was a "fun" experience. But, for what it&#39;s worth, most other companies have similar quality tech support. They are mostly people from other countries (who we can pay for next to nothing) who know very little about computers themselves, but rather refer to the references given to them. Yeah, but that&#39;s life...

If i didn&#39;t accidentally wipe my hard drive clean I would post screen shots right now.
    Um, actually this point of argument has nothing to do with you wiping your harddrive, but rather the GUI thing... Yes, AOL&#39;s GUI has changed considerably. They use a similar theme throughout versions, but get either version 8 or 9. You can customize the appearance to your liking.

wrong. websites display ads, ads on aol are built in into the aol program meaning that isp displays ads
    yet again, this is true for OLDER versions of the software. I successfully used newer versions of AOL with no ads built into the software. Plus, many ISPs DO have ads of their own. Many of them brand IE with their logo and "Internet Explorer powered by our ISP" and place links onto the desktop (just like AOL). Although, there are ways around that, there are also ways around AOL&#39;s problems.

I didn&#39;t intend to post here again, but after seeing Keikan&#39;s response, I just had to.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Fuck this quote bollox, it getting a bit pissed up&#33;

Originally posted by Keikan+14 August 2004 - 14:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Keikan &#064; 14 August 2004 - 14:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>you have to use that crap browser program thing
    No you don&#39;t, you always needed to start their software in the past (they&#39;re certainly considering dropping this restriction, if they haven&#39;t already) but there has never been anything stopping you connecting with their software and then browsing with M&#036; IE (as opposed to the one &#39;inside&#39; their software), Netscrape (strangely, their own program and not in their software), Opera, Firefox, Mozilla, Mozarella, Cheddar or anything else you can get to view web pages.

Well AOL&#39;s browser is based on IE and IE is bad[/b]
    Bad? You could at least point out some security holes to blow my argument away&#33;
    Regardless, you can use whatever browser you prefer, you are not limited to the one in the AOL software.

Originally posted by Keikan@14 August 2004 - 14:23
    you&#39;ll get im&#39;s asking you to look at whore&#39;s webcams
    Just like you do with other ISPs when you have Me&#036;&#036;enger, ICQ Hotmail or often just an ordinary email address.

I don&#39;t get IMs on M&#036;N Me&#036;&#036;enger now, which is nice, but other people I know do, and other IM programs have this problem too (Mirabilis are you listening?).

unnessary crap you will never use but you need to pay for
    Like all the shit you don&#39;t use in Windows and don&#39;t mind being there, for instance the calculator, Solitaire, WinMe&#036;&#036;enger, WIndows Movie Maker, WMP, System Restore... fuckit I&#39;m bored so I&#39;ll stop.

It is a valid comparison. Whether you pay for your OS or not, it&#39;s fucking lame to bitch about included features you don&#39;t use.

you need to make a lameass user name just to go on the internet
    Last I heard, you need a lame arsed username to use any ISP&#39;s internet service.

On cable, you may not need to enter it for that but you do need it for your email, support and billing . I know that my lameass username was decided for me by BlueYonder, but AOL gave my brother the choice.
    I don&#39;t know exactly how AOL&#39;s ADSL works but I believe the usual method is for the modem to dial and exchange login details. That&#39;s how Tiscali works over here, anyway.

Originally posted by Keikan@14 August 2004 - 14:28
    aol has bad newsgroups
    No, AOL has a poor newsgroup service, but how many of the people visiting this forum actually know the benefits of them? Very few - probably less than 5%. As an example, there isn&#39;t a Newsgroup section in the filesharingtalk forums because there isn&#39;t enough interest.
    As a second point, people who are serious about using newsgroups for the things everyone coming here hold dear to their hearts, recommend paying for a premium service because most ISP ones are crap.

So do I, but for how many people is this a deciding factor? It&#39;s very rare to find an ISP with a news service as good as ours, and the point is this failing is not unique to AOL - it&#39;s the general state of affairs across all ISPs.

aol&#39;s population is made from people that are really really cheap and their kids
    Eh? What sort of argument is that?

Be careful not to tar all parents with the same brush. Most ISPs offer a free period although not as long as AOL, but this isn&#39;t the biggest factor for parents... that accolade goes to it&#39;s safe. AOL do harp on about the parental control features&#33;
    I make decent money from de-pr0ning and dialler removal on computers with teenage boys in the household and parents are always worried about that shit on their computers. Every one of them has asked me how to prevent that shit on the computer because they&#39;re worried how their kids are going to turn out LOL. I always ask the father what he was like at that age and point out that he should only start to worry when he comes across naked men on there&#33;
    Second on parents&#39; list of priorities seems to be it&#39;s easy - they like that a lot, because it infers that they can handle it even if they don&#39;t know what they&#39;re doing.
    The free helpline is another plus for parents. It works, too, because my brother&#39;s computer is the only AOL-ed one I work on regularly - and never anything to do with AOL.
    I know this because I am one and I know a lot of others that aren&#39;t particularly computer literate.

aol is just plain lame
    Que? See previous.

That is a lame statement and one that a child would use. You have intelligence, K, don&#39;t make yourself look like a tit by using preteen shit like that.

aol has bad publicity
    Nice to see you carrying on in the same vein.

LOL. Why do lotsa kidz lie about losing their virginity? Why is grass green? Does your chewing gum lose it&#39;s flavour on the bedpost overnight? Is it true what they say about Dixie?
    Look at it this way; everyone around here is saying they&#39;re not going to see the Catwoman movie because it&#39;s crap. It hasn&#39;t been released yet and they haven&#39;t seen it, so how can they know? Word of mouth.
    Word of mouth is the best form of advertising, and by the same token it can be a company&#39;s worst enemy. The thing is, AOL has millions of customers that don&#39;t bitch about the service and a few thousand that do. Even though the people that do bitch mainly do it in a fashion resembling a spoilt brat not getting his ice-cream, it&#39;s the percentage of the overall that needs to be taken into account not the actual number. All ISPs have their detractors but 2% of AOL&#39;s customer base is a much larger number than 2% of Demon&#39;s.

aol is a company trying to monopolize the world
    They&#39;re all trying to take on the world. All da Freeserve customers in da h0wse say H0_o&#33; In Dutch.

And? Hey, why don&#39;t you ditch Windows completely then? Bad argument - use your brain, man&#33;

they kind of cut you off to the www so you can slave all day in the aol portal with all the other idiots and cheapos
    Erm, wrong. My AOL-ed brother&#39;s homepage is not AOL&#39;s

No, my comment is bang on. My brother&#39;s homepage is outside the portal and would be blocked by AOL&#39;s filters if enabled, and therefore indicates that he is not restricted to the AOL portal.

dumest customer support on earth
    Oh my, the irony&#33;
    Au contraire, AOL&#39;s customer support is second to none when ordinary customers have a problem. In fact I&#39;d go as far as to say it&#39;s possibly the best service I&#39;ve contacted - it&#39;s certainly better than NTL&#39;s over here&#33;
    I have talked to tech support about serious problems (not just prank phone calls) and they do not know what the hell I&#39;m talking about.
    I&#39;m not talking about prank calls, I&#39;m talking about belligerant people phoning up and being given the runaround because the person the other end can&#39;t just say "fuck off for 10 minutes and cool down" to them. I have spoken to them too, and they&#39;ve been courteous, understanding and efficient - better than two other ISP&#39;s helpdesks I&#39;ve contacted. In the same way, my brother got his collar felt by &#39;the law&#39; after a &#39;nothing&#39; pull, but I have been stopped without a tax disc, insurance details or driving licence on me yet drove on without incident.

<!--QuoteBegin-Keikan
    @14 August 2004 - 14:28
    aol has had the same gui for 12 years
    Now you really are clutching at straws, aren&#39;t you?[/quote]

AOL 9 looks very different to earlier versions to me. Why would you keep screenshots of AOL windows for such a long time? Peculiar.

You put up with adverts on websites but can&#39;t stand it in their software? If you connect and minimise then go about your business with Firefox (or whatever) you wouldn&#39;t even notice them.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Poster
    They can&#39;t steal what you give them. They can pass it on (which is usually in their T&C & policy statements) but it&#39;s not stuff they&#39;ve clandestinely raided your hard drive or kitchen drawer for.
    Yea so what if they pass TOO much information about you?
    Who said that they do what their T&C or P policy says?
    http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3372711
    Not even an advert on their home page?
    My ISP doesn&#39;t open its homepage without YOU requesting it.

As if it&#39;s a selling point? Well, welcome to the 80s mate. This has been going on for years in every corner of life. Why does everyone in here recommend XP Pro Corp over Home? Because it&#39;s better? Do all these people know what&#39;s better about it? No they don&#39;t all know, and even those that do seem to assume that everyone should have the few extra features when the vast majority of home users won&#39;t even notice them. Just because a &#39;Pro&#39; version always has extra features, it must be the one to get and use.
    Marketing strategies make me wanna hurl sometimes, but this is the way it happens everywhere. Blimey, look at Bush, Blair, Thatcher, Reagan - they all rode in on spin and marketing. Emphasise your plus points or the opposition&#39;s failings enough and that&#39;s all the voting public will think about.
    I don&#39;t know about you, but I&#39;ve been second-guessing the real meaning to advertising for a looong time, and I&#39;ve been alerting my kids as well.
    AOL doesn&#39;t offer what it says it does, that was my point. They don&#39;t have one thing that is superior to other ISPs, so why should you go with AOL? Why not get the PRO for more features, instead of HOME with less features? Not all people say that PRO is definitly the BEST, I&#39;m 1 o&#39; them.
    not talking about selling...
    Why are they supposed to be better? WTF is that argument? Email is email, and some are better than others. Computer literate people appear to mostly use an online service, while n00bs use whatever their ISP sets up for them. If your savvy about computers then you prolly won&#39;t be signed up with them.
    If they are not better, then why the #&#036;#@ should you choose them? You lost me, because my point was that the email service they offer is not better to the email service other ISPs offer, and some ISPs offer more email storage and other things than AOL, so why should you use AOL?
    I was removing crap from my brother&#39;s puter today (did his stepson put it on with Imesh?) and Spybot, Adaware and HijackThis didn&#39;t show up anything nasty connected to the AOL installation.
    I don&#39;t know about your borther&#39;s comp, but I know one thing for sure, I got the spyware in AOL&#39;s folder and why AOL is specific. Where I couldn&#39;t find any spyware anywhere else on the comp.
    What difference does the quality of an FTP service make when you&#39;ve got MajorGeeks, Tucows, Download.com and Christ only knows how many other file repositories?
    It doesn&#39;t matter? how the #&#036;#@ you gonna download and use the service if it is not good? we&#39;re better off without it.
    We can only speak from our experiences (well we&#39;re supposed to anyway) and mine have been much better than they were when AOL4 was the software. With all this talk about adverts your post sounds more like resentment.
    I spoke from my real experience with AOL. I don&#39;t know about yours, but you go to websites/boards about ISPs with lots of people who had an experience with AOL and ask them. You also will not see AOL on top of the list (of ISPs best to worst), thats all I know. All I&#39;m saying is that AOL is not the BEST, compared to other ISPs and there are other BETTER ISP.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Firefox has a built in popup blocker
    i downloaded aol 2.5 for expirementing though i like the 2.5 connecting screen because when your logging on instead of that aol man walking you see like a lightling bolt cool huh?

Alright alright then I just have one question before i rest my case

Do you Chewie use AOL (broadband/dial up)?

If no, why?

XP Pro Corp over Home
    you can&#39;t pirate home? thats why pro corp is better?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast