Thread: Why Does My Clock Change?

Poster
    I hope this isn't an old repeat question.

Why does my clock change in XP. The time is off by 3 hours. I usually notice this only when my computer crashes or is shutdown by accident (turning the surge switch, that supplies power to the PC off).

I thought I saw something about a virus causing this problem, a while ago.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Normally that is a sign of a weak CMOS battery on the motherboard.
    I would shut down the 'puter and unplug; open case; and find the flat large watch looking battery; get the information and replace. While you have it opened, it would also be a good time to give the inside a 'sping cleaning'.

Steve

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Out of The Ordinary
    This wont solve Your problem but I'm gonna post this link anyway http://download.com.com/3000-2381-10147230...ml?tag=lst-0-24

I second skelley521's ideas as well.

BOT

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Make sure you have your time zone set correctly... A problem with XP is that when it updates your system clock to the atomic clock, it does it using your time zone.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Thanks guys!

I bet the battery is the problem. Here's why.

I live in the East coast. But by default, XP will set the clock for the west coast (3 hours difference).

As long as my computer is plugged in, it is actually "on". I can see a tiny LED that is always luminated, even when my PC is turned off. This minimum voltage overrides the the battery.

But the moment that the power is shut off, such as unplugging the PC from the power strip, or turning the surge-protector, the clock setting is "reset" to default settings.

I always shut the surge-protector off after I shut the PC down, to prevent my toddlers from playing with the switches on the PC.

My motherboard is a few months old. I would assume that the battery was good. Damn, I just bought a battery for an old PC that I gave away last month.