Thread: Protected Files On Different Drive

How can I access my old files from before I re-formatted my windows? Long story short...linux went gay and i couldn't do anything so I had to put windows back on...re-install drivers which was a pain in the ass and now I can't get to my rar of files that I made up for when I re-installed windows. Please help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Easiest way I can think of doing it....

Try using a liveCD linux distro like Knoppix to retrieve your files.
    If you've changed over to NTFS, use Partition Magic to create a FAT32 partition to copy the RARS onto.

Or just use Knoppix to burn them to CD. Obviously you'll need a second CD drive to do that though.

Edit: Oh snap. Missed the bit where you said you've formatted over the top of the files.

Good luck mate. There's retrieval utilities out there, but they're beyond the scope of my experience.
    Maybe someone else can help you.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    No.

My Windows partition is C:\ because I just said screw linux after it went retarded so I am using windows xp home.

My D:\ Hard drive partition has my old documents that were user password protected and made private and now I can't retrieve them.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Oh right... I see.
    Knoppix might still be the way to go then.
    Don't know if the password protection will be an issue though.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i know if they are password protected then you will need to use the same username and password that you did before to be able to access them.

i dont know of any programs to just copy them but there might be one.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Damn...that didn't work. I tried same username and password with no such luck.

Anyone help me here please?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Someone please help :helpsmile: .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    can you give us a bit more detail please.

what files / where / did you use windows encryption thingy/ that type of partition was it.

edit : microsofts answer to the problem.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    It's not really encrypted but it was in my old user name's my documents file and I made the file private and I had a password. When I go to click on the My Documents folder it just says access denied. It has some movies and my important documents in it.