Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If You Have Both What Would U Use

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by apunkrockmonk@16 August 2004 - 14:33
    I'd use the mobile, they run at a lower voltage from the factory theirfore more efficent, produce less heat, and overclock better.

Just my 2 cents.
    not necessarily...when u go to overclock u will need to bring the vcore back up close to stock making it run just as hot as the 2800+ would.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    so it wouldn't really matter that much? so the 2800+ would be better becasue it's worth more money?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    They are both based on 130nm technology, so the physical track size which is the limiting factor in overclocking is the same. The only sure way to find out which overclocks better is to try them both. I wouldn't like to predict the outcome, it is likely to be pretty close.

Both have advantages - the 2800+ is already quaranteed at a higher speed, so it is likely to run cooler than a non-mobile 2500+ overclocked to 2800+ equivalence. The mobile 2500+ starts with lower power consumption and therefore lower heat generation. It depends on unknown (or at least unpublished) power/temp curves as to which will overclock better.

You've already got an unlocked 2800+, why not see how far you can go with that? If you can reach 2.3GHz with stability and temps not too high that's getting close to as far as you can go with the technology anyway.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by lynx@16 August 2004 - 16:37
    They are both based on 130nm technology, so the physical track size which is the limiting factor in overclocking is the same. The only sure way to find out which overclocks better is to try them both. I wouldn't like to predict the outcome, it is likely to be pretty close.

Both have advantages - the 2800+ is already quaranteed at a higher speed, so it is likely to run cooler than a non-mobile 2500+ overclocked to 2800+ equivalence. The mobile 2500+ starts with lower power consumption and therefore lower heat generation. It depends on unknown (or at least unpublished) power/temp curves as to which will overclock better.

You've already got an unlocked 2800+, why not see how far you can go with that? If you can reach 2.3GHz with stability and temps not too high that's getting close to as far as you can go with the technology anyway.
    perfect, thanks thats what i was looking for. i'll use the 2800+ becasue its mine. the 2500+m is a friends, i could have switched them if the 2500+ was better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12