Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Xp Product Key

Something has been bouncing around in my brain for awhile. to install windows xp you need a particular product key. and after it is installed you have to activate windows. I asked a couple of people and they said the product key for each disk isn't on the disk. but that didn't make any sence to me. I figure the product key has to be on the disk because with out it you can't install. I have a running bet with one of my friends so if anyone know where the key is on the disk could they tell me. its worth 50 bucks to me
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='color:blue'><u>Its the Kid BH</u></span></span></span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Key is on the disk?

No the cd key is your license to your version of windows.

There are two versions of WinXP CD keys I know of...

1. The regular CD key that you can buy in the store. You will have to activate with that.

2. and the Volume License (corp) Key that Companies buy. Those don’t require activation.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    windows checks to see it the key entered is valid by runnung it through s complex algorithim
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    no i mean the product key used to install windows. before you can install windows xp you need to enter the 25 digit product key. Some of my friends say the key isnt on the disk. I say it must be, how else would the installer know it was the right key?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='color:blue'><u>Its the Kid BH</u></span></span></span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    so each disk has a different algerithem on it?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    no the algorith is the same (all valid keys will produce the same results in the algorithm, even though they are different)
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    you know what this means...i lost 50 bucks

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Blackhart@17 August 2004 - 14:59
    you know what this means...i lost 50 bucks

how do u think the illegal versions work?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    The product key is not on the disk itself, it is on the sleeve or cd case the it came in. You use that product key to install windows and then you activate it once it is installed, unless the product key you are using is a corp edition then no activation is required. How do you say you lost &#036;50 bucks for that.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by firefox@18 August 2004 - 15:37
    The product key is not on the disk itself, it is on the sleeve or cd case the it came in. You use that product key to install windows and then you activate it once it is installed, unless the product key you are using is a corp edition then no activation is required. How do you say you lost &#036;50 bucks for that.
    I think that he bet the CD key that appears on the box is also hidden on the disc and that the setup checks the key entered against the one on the disc.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast