Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flat Screens?

harrycary's Avatar Poster
    hey aeo,
    Go with a 17", if at all possible. look for one with a high contrast ratio(>200:1). Don't get one if you're planning on running any "hardcore" video games(Doom, Quake 3, etc.) or for viewing movies. LCD screens just don't have the refresh rate necessary. You will notice severe ghosting/blurring, especially during high-action sequences. (nothing beats a CRT for this reason alone)
    For everyday users, buy the cheapest you can find. Brand doesn't matter as far as quality is concerned since monitor manufacturers are all using the same lcd vendors. Use your own best judgement. Afterall, your eyes may be better then the salesmans. shop, shop, shop around, deals on them can be found. Be wary buying from online vendors(read any fine print/warranty info).

I work in the consumer electronics repair industry, just my 2 cents.

P.S. You can touch an lcd screen as much as you want. It takes a good amount of force to break one. ($$$ fix)

good luck.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Cheers harrycary

Even though its a work computer (we work from home) i still need a good screen for games & movies etc, seems a bit of a best of both worlds is needed??

Well time to go shopping.........err not now tomorrow i mean.........

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    no problem aeo,
    Make sure the salesman shows you some high action gaming and/or video 'till your satisfied. Better still, bring your own CD with you.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    BROCKSTER's Avatar Poster
    i want a 20" flat screen that wud b ace how much wud that cost me

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    For me it's been ViewSonic Flatscreen monitors and use of LCD screens.
    I have a viewsonic and must say it is very impressive. I like the fact that it does an auto adjust. I hate playing with the settings to get rid of the borders. At a touch of a button, it adjusts to fit perfectly. It also mounts on the wall, if you would like to put it there.

The resolution is great at 1152 x864 and if you are using XP, clear type makes the fonts jump off the screen. It comes with cool parrots ontop.

The downside is that it came with one dead pixel...I fought with them, but they said up to seven dead pixels are acceptable. Not for me. But, I came to forget about this one pixel. Also, if I adjust the tilt of the screen, sometimes I lose funtionality of the buttons. See, they are all digital buttons. They are touchy so to speak. Good luck.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    you should go and check www.pcworld.com they have reviews for products and stuff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12