Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U.s. Killed By Puerto Rico In Olympic Basketball

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Historic loss
    U.S. routed by Puerto Rico in NBA players' first Olympic defeat

ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- Their shots clanged off the rim, smacked the side of the backboard or missed completely. Their best player stared at the floor helplessly as the ball squirted between his legs and rolled away.

Whatever remained of America's aura of invincibility slipped away, too, in a shocking, lopsided loss that left their coach embarrassed and angry.

Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson and the rest of the U.S. basketball team fell 92-73 to Puerto Rico on Sunday, only the third Olympic defeat ever -- and first since adding pros -- for the nation that ruled the sport for three-quarters of a century.

It was by far the worst defeat for a U.S. men's team, coming in the Americans' first game of the Athens Olympics. Having it happen against a team they had dominated in the past 13 months only made it hurt worse.

"I'm humiliated, not for the loss -- I can always deal with wins and losses -- but I'm disappointed because I had a job to do as a coach, to get us to understand how we're supposed to play as a team and act as a team, and I don't think we did that," Larry Brown said.
    Full Story: Click Here

Oh, well.... I'm not sure which is worse, for the U.S. Men's Baseball team did not even qualify!

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    They can still get the gold but it is doubtful.

Dream Team? I think not.

It is funny that people are saying that international game is catching up with us.

If there was Shaq, Kobe, Kevin, and others there, the landscape of these games would be different.

Dream Team? I think not.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Lounge   -   #3
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Well, Dynasty's don't last forever...just ask Mr. Ming.

Let's give a lot of credit to Puerto Rico however. Overall shooting percentage of 56% compared to the U.S.'s 35%.
    In there is Puerto Rico hitting 8 of 16 from 3-point range while the U.S. hit a measly 3 0f 24. And, to make matters worse, the U.S. turned the ball over 22 times.
    It was ugly! It was embarrassing!

After going 24-0 since the Olympics allowed professionals, the odds were stacked against them and it took a great effort by Puerto Rico to finally humble the U.S.

Ok, they're not out of it yet.....but now the other teams know that the U.S. has an Achilles heel and are vulnerable. Instead of expecting defeat at the hands of Team USA they will be pumped up with anticipation to see if they can duplicate P.R.'s feat.

Perhaps this is a good wakeup call for Team USA,
    and perhaps we'll see how good this team can be when they play their next game.

:beerchug:

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by mrlessk@16 August 2004 - 01:40
    Well, Dynasty's don't last forever...just ask Mr. Ming.

Let's give a lot of credit to Puerto Rico
    Sorry, I don't.

The NBA has mediocre players just like other countries.

Other countries have been sending their best players and this year we did not.

How did Team USA overlook sending in good shooters?

BONEHEADS!!
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Lounge   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by Busyman+16 August 2004 - 06:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 16 August 2004 - 06:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mrlessk@16 August 2004 - 01:40
    Well, Dynasty&#39;s don&#39;t last forever...just ask Mr. Ming.

Let&#39;s give a lot of credit to Puerto Rico
    Sorry, I don&#39;t.

The NBA has mediocre players just like other countries.

Other countries have been sending their best players and this year we did not.

How did Team USA overlook sending in good shooters?

BONEHEADS&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Quite. Seems like a particularly important part of the game, that
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Busyman@15 August 2004 - 19:32
    If there was Shaq, Kobe, Kevin, and others there, the landscape of these games would be different.
    Oh sure, no doubt about it. But, Shaq is too busy remodeling his home at Star Island in Miami,
    Kobe has to pay those parking tickets (in fact, he&#39;s due in court today).

But, Team USA 2004 is what it is.

Like it or not, if USA is to win a medal, these are the guys that have to bring it home.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    i think KG wouldve been a good addition , oh well, Yao Ming should also leave china and play for the US
    -TiMz

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Comic_Peddler's Avatar Poster
    Really must give Peurto Rico credit were credit is due. They definitly are a hard working team.

BTW: Team USA lost to Puerto Rico last year in a one point lose at the Pan Am games.

Edit: Let&#39;s not forget Team USA took a lose to the mighty Italians as well. Granted that was an exhibition match, but a lose is a lose.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster

>Tuesday 3 p.m (EST) Men&#39;s Basketball, Team USA vs. Greece<

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    yay the us lost

their getting crushed so far this year, which is supprising.

canada is winning in base ball 2.

strange.

wait till the winter olympics, ull get pawned in hockey again too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast