Thread: Converting Real Player Files?

is there a way to convert real player files to a different kind of file that will play in media player????
    thanks!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    I believe there is software that will do it for you. However, RM files are horrible quality, probably the worst there is. If the files you have are popular at all, there is probably a better version that you can download instead. Downloading another version will probably take half the time of re-encoding the files.
    Proud member of MDS

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thank you so much for the prompt reply!! unfortunately the files are very obscure and not popular at all so downloading another version is not feasible. guess we'll just have to keep real player around just for those files - although we despise it!! thanks again!!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Go here:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/rmto3.htm

Remember: If the RealPlayer video quality is crap, then the one that comes out will look like crap.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    thank you so much!! i'll give it a try on my next days off - hopefully i can follow instructions well enough to do it! lol

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by turtle@23 March 2003 - 21:54
    thank you so much for the prompt reply!! unfortunately the files are very obscure and not popular at all so downloading another version is not feasible. guess we'll just have to keep real player around just for those files - although we despise it!! thanks again!!
    Yes, unfortunatly we have no choice but to keep that damned program just for those certain files.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Personally I feel the same about the Real Player and the .rm file format... they both SUCK imo.

Hmm.. I'm not sure if it's still around, or if it'll even work with XP, but about a year ago, I found a program that could convert .rm files to .mpeg... It was called TINRA (This Is Not Real Anymore)

Before you start rejoicing, be aware that it did have a fair few drawbacks:
    - the file converter could be difficult to use
    - the converted files ended up being HUGE
    - there were video/audio syncronisation issues
    - the picture quality took a nosedive if you didn't do the conversion properly

If you are REALLY desperate to rid yourself of the REAL player, try a google search for TINRA.. there was even a forum and FAQ last time I looked... but that was about a year ago... maybe it's vanished - maybe it's been improved - who knows?

Edit: Typo