Thread: new mobo + windows

Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    im upgrading my asus a7n8x-x to a a7n8x-e deluxe, also upgrading my RAM from 512 MB kingston pc3200 to 512 MB kingston pc3200 CAS 2.5

now im betting windows (XP Corp) will bitch about this, even though the rest of my comp will stay exactly the same (cept for the case, im getting one with a window)

but im kinda wondering if there is any way to do this without having to reinstall everything.......

(no, im not a spoiled brat, but my aunt needs a comp, so i can upgrade all my parts very cheap)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    you can uninstall all of the chipset drivers and then install the new ones however this causes a lot of problems and can be hard to get to function properly. It will be easier to format and reinstall from scratch
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    will ghost work??? im affraid it wont cause it will kinda be a new computer.......

EDIT: will ghost allow me to just continue using my programs without having to reinstall them??
    Last edited by Storm; 10-04-2004 at 07:51 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    well the guys on the torrentbits forums told me to just go ahead and switch mobo without a reformat (this forum is kinda slow with posts in its stripped down version )

but i did just taht and it worked fine, prolly cause its the corp version.....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i was gonna say if it doesn't work then do a repair install, maybe this will help you in the future.

but the two boards use teh same chipset so im not sure why you'd have had any problems.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i dunno, i was thinkin the windows anti piracy protection might kick in, seeing as i just added another HDD, changed my DVD burner, and would now be changing my mobo AND RAM........

though come to think of it, if that protection would kick in id have to reactivate windows, which i dont have to since i this computer belongs to a big company ( )

i dunno, just thought it might piss windows of........

i must say though that i like my new mobo (seeing as it was free ), i got an extra LAN port, and theyre now both gbit ethernet, i got 2 firewire ports (not that i have anything firewire or ever intend to get anything firewired), but best of all i have 2 SATA ports (=2 more HDD = alot more movies, clips and music), and surround sound!!!! (ow, and i can even go wireless...... so thats 3 networks i can log on to at the same time )

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    i dunno, i was thinkin the windows anti piracy protection might kick in, seeing as i just added another HDD, changed my DVD burner, and would now be changing my mobo AND RAM........

though come to think of it, if that protection would kick in id have to reactivate windows, which i dont have to since i this computer belongs to a big company ( )

i dunno, just thought it might piss windows of........

i must say though that i like my new mobo (seeing as it was free ), i got an extra LAN port, and theyre now both gbit ethernet, i got 2 firewire ports (not that i have anything firewire or ever intend to get anything firewired), but best of all i have 2 SATA ports (=2 more HDD = alot more movies, clips and music), and surround sound!!!! (ow, and i can even go wireless...... so thats 3 networks i can log on to at the same time )
    oh no that only happens in xp home and pro not corp.

even then all you gotta do is activate and it works again.