Thread: Dvd-rom Problems

Poster
    While I am here, and since my google search came up empty handed, I will ask you guys.

I really am having multiple issues with my DVD-ROM:

1. I want to find out why my DVD's original or copied discs playback with horrible audio noise or distortion. It is a sound that "beeps" to the beat of the DVD-ROM reading the data. Not sure if "beep" is the correct word, but it is driving me crazy. Is it the end of my DVD-ROM, I wonder?

This distortion comes through so loudly that I can't even enjoy the movies. Is there anything I can install to filter this distorted noise out? I am thinking it could be a driver issue. Not sure. Thanks in advance.

2. I only get rip speeds of no more than 1.8x with both smartripper and dvd decrypter. This is unacceptable in my opinion. I don't know too much about hardware, but I have a _NEC DV-5800A and it is supposed to be fast. The specs are the same as most I have seen on the net. 16x48x. My friends get like 10x rip speed and I was wondering if my DVD-ROM is breaking down. Is it a driver issue or what? And, yes I have updated its firmware, but that doesn't help any.

Thanks for any future comments.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by mobboss01@24 March 2003 - 17:52
    I only get rip speeds of no more than 1.8x with both smartripper and dvd decrypter. This is unacceptable in my opinion.
    Hopefully this thread won't be deleted because of our favorite spammer..

Anyway, I have the same problem with my ripping speed. I have a 16x DVD drive, and also an 8x drive (my DVD-R drive) and I get roughly the same ripping speed on each. However, ripping speed is probably different than playback speed, so this could be the best performance that we will see.

I'm confused, is your drive making noise? Like, is it a physical noise caused by the equipment? Or is it a sound that gets ripped into the file when you use smartripper?
    Proud member of MDS