Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dsl Modems

vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    the best bet I found was a DSL modem/router, for about £100...netgears are good

try http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ for everything about DSL and cable etc.

the quality DOES matter, read some of the reports above
    <insert signature here>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@25 March 2003 - 10:59
    if the DSL company gives you a choice between USB or ethernet, choose the ethernet because it will perform better and more reliably... and a USB modem can&#39;t be used with a router if you ever decide that you want to share your internet connection between multiple PCs.hope that covers any questions the original poster may have had.
    There isn&#39;t really a difference in performance or reliability of using ethernet over USB to connect a modem. Not everyone has a NIC, that&#39;s why there is the choice of USB. If you do have ethernet than of course use it, that&#39;s what it&#39;s for. You won&#39;t have to use up one of your USB slots. But you don&#39;t NEED an ethernet if you have the USB option. Then again, I don&#39;t think DSL modems can be connected to USB. I haven&#39;t seen one that can be...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    The BT Voyager external modem, connects via USB Supernatural...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Well, there ya go. Thanx dude.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by Supernatural@25 March 2003 - 14:14
    There isn&#39;t really a difference in performance or reliability of using ethernet over USB to connect a modem. Not everyone has a NIC, that&#39;s why there is the choice of USB. If you do have ethernet than of course use it, that&#39;s what it&#39;s for. You won&#39;t have to use up one of your USB slots. But you don&#39;t NEED an ethernet if you have the USB option. Then again, I don&#39;t think DSL modems can be connected to USB. I haven&#39;t seen one that can be...
    ethernet = 10mbps or 100mbps dedicated purely to networking
    usb = 11mbps split between all devices on the hub (by design it is a low bandwidth interface)

the sharing of that limited bandwidth between multiple devices is what makes a USB internet connection the less desirable choice

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Why does it matter? DSL hardly ever goes over 1.5 Mbps. It&#39;s not like the USB will be "limiting" the modem to 11Mbps, because it will never go that fast.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    does usb not use more sys resources?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    I have the Alcatel USB ADSL External Modem seems to be pretty good, I don;t really think the modem makes too much difference the service provider makes most difference.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by Benno+25 March 2003 - 16:36--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Benno @ 25 March 2003 - 16:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--QuietSilence&#33;@25 March 2003 - 16:25
    where i am&nbsp; cable is 160&#092;160 and dsl is 160&#092;128 where 1st number is download speed and 2nd number is upload speed
    the cable is 39.99 a month and the dsl is 49.99 a month (they also hav a dsl for 29.99 that is 512&#092;128)
    i use dsl (160&#092;128) as&nbsp; i dont want to share my bandwidth with everyone in the naborhood
    how come that DSL with 160/128 is a more expensive than DSL with 512/128?? [/b][/quote]
    sry i posted that wrong it should be 1500Kbps/128Kbps
    witch is aprox 160KBps/128kbps
    in other words i was useing kilobits in uploads and kilobytes in dl
    so i see ur confusion it was a mistake
    itend to think in bytes instead of bits when it comes to download speed
    ill go back and edit the post

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by Livy@28 March 2003 - 02:27
    does usb not use more sys resources?
    no more then an ether net card and ud have these resorses in use any way if you have usb ports
    also it is highly unlikey ull use up ur usb bandwidth of 11 Mbps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast