Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dsl Modems

Poster
    I'm thinking about getting DSL, but what modem should I get?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    SBCYahoo DSL and Earthlink DSL are the best ones right now.

i heard cable gets slow at populare times.. not sure though. My friend uses road runner and hates it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    No I mean the modem itself, there is only 1 option for service in my area

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@24 March 2003 - 17:38
    i heard cable gets slow at populare times.. not sure though. My friend uses road runner and hates it
    Yeah, when alot of people around you are connecting to cable at once, tends to get slow. Otherwise, it's quite fast.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    heh u got verizon in ur area...

right now im using verizon dsl... came w/ free webcam

itz like 40 dollars a month

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Just use whatever the ISP gives you. I don't think there is any difference in which modem you use.

BTW, I've had both DSL and cable, and cable is 2-3 times faster than DSL. That has been my experience. Sure it slows down during high-traffic hours. The whole internet slows down at these time, not just cable users. Even with the slow down, it still remains much faster than DSL.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ack It really depends upon where you live

I'm in some small town Iowa so we have a Local ISP that I use called LISCO and their awesome
    876k up and down($39,DSL), For the past 3 years the service hasnt been slow or down ONCE.
    But there is also mediacom service(cable) from a larger city and I've heard people talking about downloading over Megabit easily but the past few weeks everyone in Des moines was lagging until it was resolved the other day.
    All I can say I am glad to be on a nice stable connection such as this.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Supernatural@25 March 2003 - 06:03
    Just use whatever the ISP gives you. I don't think there is any difference in which modem you use.

BTW, I've had both DSL and cable, and cable is 2-3 times faster than DSL. That has been my experience. Sure it slows down during high-traffic hours. The whole internet slows down at these time, not just cable users. Even with the slow down, it still remains much faster than DSL.
    the main difrence is that dsl is dedacated bandwidth that meens its all urs

but cable is shared bandwidth wich meen ur shareing ur band width with the whole naborhood so when theres a lot of peps on line in ur naborhood ull get slower connections

it uasly cost more for dsl for the same bandwidth that the cable is but u dont have to share it also dsl is uasly limmited to only 128Kbps up where cable is uasly not caped its the same up as down

where i am cable is 160KBps\160KBps and dsl is 160KBps\128Kbps where 1st number is download speed and 2nd number is upload speed (note KBps is kilobytes per sec and Kbps is Kilobits per sec )
    the cable is 39.99 a month and the dsl is 49.99 a month (they also hav a dsl for 29.99 that is 512Kbps\128Kbps)
    i use dsl (160KBps\128Kbps) as i dont want to share my bandwidth with everyone in the naborhood

also in addition to this cable is useing the the same 160KBps both up and down so if u got an upload going it will slow ur download becouse its using the same bandwidth but in dsl they are seprit so so upload do not slow ur downloads

i have had both and for me where i am dsl is all ways faster (except late at night)then the cabble becouse there are a lot of peps with cable in my naborhood

as to the modem if the isp u get your dsl from dost provide one i would recomend a linksys adsl router i seen 1 for 49.99 that had Nat and a fire wall and pppoe suport

nat lets u hook more then 1 comp up without having to get a 2nd ip address wich they usaly charge u more for. pppoe suport is so u dont have to run a pppoe client like winpoat on ur comp to get on. firewall is also a good thing to have so u dont have to run a firewall on every comp u have connected to the inet

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by QuietSilence!@25 March 2003 - 16:25
    where i am cable is 160\160 and dsl is 160\128 where 1st number is download speed and 2nd number is upload speed
    the cable is 39.99 a month and the dsl is 49.99 a month (they also hav a dsl for 29.99 that is 512\128)
    i use dsl (160\128) as i dont want to share my bandwidth with everyone in the naborhood
    how come that DSL with 160/128 is a more expensive than DSL with 512/128??

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    i have seen cable modems for sale in stores, but never seen a DSL modem in a store... which leads me to believe that

1) cable modems are generic/interchangeable, so any cable modem should work with any cable internet service
    2) DSL modems are specific to the company you subscribe to, so you should just buy the one that your company offers to you. in fact, it will probably be a requirement that you buy the modem from the internet company

if the DSL company gives you a choice between USB or ethernet, choose the ethernet because it will perform better and more reliably... and a USB modem can't be used with a router if you ever decide that you want to share your internet connection between multiple PCs.

if you do not have an ethernet card in your PC, you will need to buy one and install it. should cost $20 or less, and they all perform approx the same. an ethernet card and a 56k modem are both network cards, but an ethernet card is not a modem (because it does not have the ability to connect to an internet service without first going through an external modem).

hope that covers any questions the original poster may have had.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast