Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: Equality run amok!

ruthie's Avatar Poster
    why, thank you honey. As usual, I appreciate your brilliance.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

2. The Drawing Room   -   #112
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Quote Originally Posted by scroff
    Just my two cents, since I'm here reading ruthies brilliance...

The Catholic Church is worth over $100,000,000,000... They should be taxed, at least property tax. About fifteen years ago the property the Church owned along the Hudson River in Upstate New York in just my area was worth over $9,000,000. That should be taxed. It would lower the local tax burden on all the people in the surrounding towns, a very charitable action, if you ask me. A priests minimal "income" shouldn't.

...and, as RF has already pointed out, they do have representation. Every Christian religion in the US does. Half the country thinks the US is some kind of divine intervention. Every other major speech includes some reference to god. God bless America, In god we trust.

Jerry Falwell Ministries is classified by the IRS as a non-profit organization, making it exempt from paying federal income taxes on the money they collect from followers... reported at $12.4 million for the year ending June 30, 2003. That, even more than the Catholic Church's holdings, should be taxed. Especially since Falwell, in his Falwell Confidential, expresses unabashed support for Bush and extols his sheep to follow his lead.

To take it even further (perhaps I can steal the liberal loonie crown from RF and Ruthie) religion is a farce and all "churches" should be taxed. What ever happened to rich men and eyes of needles and all that shit? Matthew 19:24
    well I'll be amiss if I didn't think that this is ruthie's other half

tis true?

if not then truly; you are made for each other (sorry B )
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #113
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Taxing religions is probably a non-starter. Any accountant worth his salt could produce an operating statement for a non-profit making organisation showing there is no surplus to tax. Remember it is not income that is taxed but profit.

Having said that, people like the Bakers in the US did a pretty good job in trying to blur the lines and bring most if not all tele-evangelism into disrepute.

Is it just me or have we digressed from J2's original homily on the spread of political correctness?

Edit: added the word no as that was my original intent.
    Last edited by Biggles; 10-16-2004 at 04:06 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #114
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Taxing religions is probably a non-starter. Any accountant worth his salt could produce an operating statement for a non-profit making organisation showing there is surplus to tax. Remember it is not income that is taxed but profit.

Having said that, people like the Bakers in the US did a pretty good job in trying to blur the lines and bring most if not all tele-evangelism into disrepute.

Is it just me or have we digressed from J2's original homily on the spread of political correctness?
    It will never happen here...too many people of faith

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #115
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Vidcc

Perhaps, and many faiths do use their surplus for worthy causes, taxation of which would not be desireable. It is, however, less agreeable to see such funds used to build flash follies and expensive cars for the charismatic leader/guru of the relevant cult/faith.

I was taken with the debate I saw on Yahoo regarding Halloween/Samhain. As it falls on a Sunday this year it is apparently causing a little (although presumably minor) ruckus in some US States. Most of the contributions were surprisingly balanced a well informed. It was pleasing to see.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #116
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningfreemanny
    well I'll be amiss if I didn't think that this is ruthie's other half

tis true?

if not then truly; you are made for each other (sorry B )
    tis true. Scroff is my love.

anywhichway

7. The Drawing Room   -   #117
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    tis true. Scroff is my love.
    ShitBergerFlickel!!!

Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #118
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Lol.

anywhichway

9. The Drawing Room   -   #119
    Sanctuary!
    There are other ways to tax. Like I said, paying property tax would be a real good start. And nutjobs like Falwell and Pat Robertson need to be "re-assessed" as a for profit organization. If they have to re-write the tax code to do it... so be it.

Oh, yea....

Sorry B...

Ok, I'll shut up now (at least in this thread)
    Last edited by scroff; 10-18-2004 at 07:44 AM.
    Ancient Bush family proverb; Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day... drown him in the lake and he'll never be hungry again.

Any Which Way.... because there's more to it than Fox tells you.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112