Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Equality run amok!

spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Have you tried anything for your delicate condition. Milk of Magnesia is good.

What are they that are held as common values amongst most peoples and most times? Murder, theft, violence, exploitation, again and again appear as traits and behaviour people hate - if at least amongst themselves.

I think you will have little difficulty in agreeing with Ruthie and RF on these. It is evil to kill and it is evil to exploit the poor and oppressed. By comparison, what consenting individuals do in a bedroom is a triviality, a distraction from the real ailments afflicting the world. It sometimes seems to me that the obsession with other peoples' sexuality as opposed to whether Nike should be employing 8 year olds to glue shoes together is a deliberate diversionary tactic.

Never mind capitalist exploitation there are some nekkid people over there - get the pitch forks! (Note: totally gratuitous prod in the capitas - merely because it was funny)

I have no interest in political correctness - it all too often falls into the same witch hunt mentality of that which it seeks to dislodge. To label things like homosexuality as evil merely reflects one tradition. It is, however, a value judgement rather than a reasoned argument. Moral relativism has its place (with the appropriate caveats) and it is sophistry to lurch to the extremes to try and counter it. There is no comparison between Ruthie's compassion and Hitler or Pol Pot or any other lunatic ruling by fear and the gun. After your Milk of Magnesia and a settled tummy you would see that.
    Milk of Magnesia huh? I just had that in a chemistry test today; had to find the equilibrium constant, all the while wondering what the hell is Milk of Magnesia?...I digress

The comparison of Ruthie's compassion and Hitler is by no means a comparison of scope, it is though of what absolute moral relativism ultimately leads to. To compare murder and exploitation to moral failure is not as trivial as thought; I'm a firm believer that a moral atmosphere is the first dissuasion to such things

a moral vaccum will quickly leave us wondering why our Rome is burning...

Now, I am not advocating anti-sodomy laws; I am though advocating that government should not expressly endorse such a thing (as Busyman has stated)...

First thing we've agreed to EVER
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    ok government (at any level) should not endorse..... As long as they don't deny either.

You can argue with hypocritical notions forever, the fact is that equal rights are being denied, But i guess that's ok as long as it's someone elses equal rights.

Seems these right wing viewpoints clash with the constant bragging that we are "FREE"

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Do you get anything i say manny?

Ethics and Morals are not universal.... even in your own bloody country.

Just look at the way Prostitution is treated in say Nevada v Utah....

How much different then in a totally different Culture/Religious background/World View?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningfreemanny
    Ruthie;

You are hearby crowned as queen 'loony lib' due to your exquisite and impressive display of insanity. Rat Faced, give her your Burger King crown; go on, give it up...
    Manny..yer pretty funny. Your view of morality is yours. Do you think what you deem moral and decent is the same for everyone else? There are not lots of little manny's running around, identical to you.
    I, subjectively you might say, find your judgement of other people's sexuality
    indecent. I find no morality in your belief that a government, let alone an individual has any right to dictate their own moral code onto someone else. I find it all narrowminded, judgemental, and self-righteous. Of course, this is my subjective opinion. Live and let live, bro, and be joyous that there are all kinds of people out there in love.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    Manny..yer pretty funny. Your view of morality is yours. Do you think what you deem moral and decent is the same for everyone else? There are not lots of little manny's running around, identical to you.
    I, subjectively you might say, find your judgement of other people's sexuality
    indecent. I find no morality in your belief that a government, let alone an individual has any right to dictate their own moral code onto someone else. I find it all narrowminded, judgemental, and self-righteous. Of course, this is my subjective opinion. Live and let live, bro, and be joyous that there are all kinds of people out there in love.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    ok government (at any level) should not endorse..... As long as they don't deny either.

You can argue with hypocritical notions forever, the fact is that equal rights are being denied, But i guess that's ok as long as it's someone elses equal rights.

Seems these right wing viewpoints clash with the constant bragging that we are "FREE"
    Then truly separate church and state.

Marriage used to be a religious joining.

There should be no tax breaks for churchs. The Church of Scientology had been trying to get classifid as a "church" for years and they are charlatans.
    *end rant*

Just because something "no gets hurt" doesn't make it right.

tbh I firmly believe gays will be able to marry in America.
    The world is going to shit and this is a pile on.

Again the gay marriage holds true also for:

Prostitution
    Gambling
    Euthanasia
    Polygamy
    Drug use
    Beastiality
    Predatory Loans
    Abortions
    Cloning
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-11-2004 at 11:30 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    Its only fairly recently that "marriage" has even been there for commoners in the UK....

So to say that it is a religious joining, when common folk only started doing it a few hundred years ago, is laughable.

Especially the numbers, even today, that only have a civil ceremony.

As to your "list"... I'd agree on a personal level with some and not others.

Despite being heartbroken once by a former Fiancee having an Abortion, without my even knowing she was pregnant, which was very traumatic... even now, i still say that it is a womans body, and she should have the right to choose.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 10-11-2004 at 11:34 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    There should absolutely be seperation of church and state, and church should be paying taxes.
    As far as your concerns about children raised by gay couples....worry not. They are probably better adjusted children, as tolerance would be a natural environment for them to grow up in a nd learn in that household.
    Parenting isn't easy. it makes no difference if you're male or female. there are plenty of troubled children that grow up in heterosexual households.
    Learning to except people for who they are seems to be a heavy lesson for alot of people.

anywhichway

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    We're gonna have to share that Burger Crown manny was on about at this rate ruthie

10. The Drawing Room   -   #60
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Well, my loony liberal queendom has lots of room too.

anywhichway

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast