Thread: GMail Drive shell extension

Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage media...

GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.

Ever since Google started to offer users a GMail e-mail account, which includes storage space of a 1000 megabytes, you have had plenty of storage space but not a lot to fill it up with. With GMail Drive you can easily copy files to your GMail account and retrieve them again.

When you create a new file using GMail Drive, it generates an e-mail and posts it to your account. The e-mail appears in your normal Inbox folder, and the file is attached as an e-mail attachment. GMail Drive periodically checks your mail account (using the GMail search function) to see if new files have arrived and to rebuild the directory structures. But basically GMail Drive acts as any other hard-drive installed on your computer.

You can copy files to and from the GMail Drive folder simply by using drag'n'drop like you're used to with the normal Explorer folders.

Because the GMail files will clutter up your Inbox folder, you may wish to create a filter in GMail to automatically move the files (prefixed with the GMAILFS letters) to your archived mail folder.

Please note that GMail Drive is still an experimental tool. There's still a number of limitations of the file-system (such as total filename size must be less than 40 characters), and it doesn't make full use of the secure internet protocols available.

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/downloads/gmailfs.zip
    Installation Guide
    * Extract the ZIP file to a temporary folder.
    * Run the Setup application.

My Blog
    I'm still here.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Wow. I wonder if there is a way to use it as FTP space.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by orcutt989
    Wow. I wonder if there is a way to use it as FTP space.
    nope 10mb file limit..

My Blog
    I'm still here.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    EDIT: edited out the bs

and the reason you cant use it as an FTP is cause you need to login, and you cant have multiple users login.......

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I have seen a project to use gmail as a linux partition. you could boot linux off your gmail account. sorry no url :-(

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play
    I have seen a project to use gmail as a linux partition. you could boot linux off your gmail account. sorry no url :-(
    http://richard.jones.name/google-hac...ilesystem.html

My Blog
    I'm still here.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Wow, only just seen this. I'd not heard of it before. Thanks Jai, I'm going to give it a try

Hopefully it will let me make a few GMail drives.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    damn for some reason i miss SH he used to post appz and programs like this....

My Blog
    I'm still here.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jaigandhi5
    nope 10mb file limit..
    so you can only have 10 mb files on their? if thats the case thats no use to me.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    You can always use something like winrar to split files.

Anyways they need to add the option to log off. The only other way is to either kill explorer.exe or actually log off your windows account