Thread: no log-in screen???

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    All of a sudden, my log-in screen for windows isn't appearing any longer. I see the screen that has the same background and says 'Welcome', but then it goes straight to loading the desktop. What would cause this?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Go to Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change The Way Users Log On And Off -> and tick Use Welcome Screen.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    also, if you've only got one user account on your machine (aside from 'Administrator'), and no password for that account, it will bypass the login/welcome screen.

There is a crack in everything.
    That's how the light gets in.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by motherflux
    also, if you've only got one user account on your machine (aside from 'Administrator'), and no password for that account, it will bypass the login/welcome screen.
    Not so. I've been the only user on this pc for a year and a half and I've always had to click the user icon.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by iMartin
    Go to Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change The Way Users Log On And Off -> and tick Use Welcome Screen.
    If I do that, it requires me to type a logon name. It's not that its a pain or that I'm trying to get rid of it, I want to know why it has stopped all of a sudden.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    you have prolly been messin with tweak UI, and set it to log you on automatically..........

Logon->autologon-> uncheck "log on automatically at startup" (this isnt advised to have on anyway, since it brings a security risk with it)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Unless it came with a Windows automatic update, and did it by itself, that's not it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    XP by default goes straight to the desktop if there's only one user with no password, so I don't know why you should see the welcome screen with that setup.

Set a password and reboot.
    Then try removing that password ans see if it fixes it.