Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Come My Computer Can Recognize my CPU?

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    When you first power up your PC, keep pressing the Delete key on your keyboard to until you get into the CMOS setup (BIOS). Once there you can set the Front Side Bus and the multiplier.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    no matter what u do ur mobo wont recognize it.....

its a MOBILE CPU!!!

My Blog
    I'm still here.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'll need to download the manual to tell you exactly what to set.

Unfortunately right at this moment I have a great thirst so I'm about to quench it with copious amounts of beer. When I get back I may not be capable of telling you, but we'll see what happens. :beerchug:
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by jaigandhi5
    no matter what u do ur mobo wont recognize it.....

its a MOBILE CPU!!!
    in dont care if its unrecognizable... i just wanna OC it and use it to the fullest...

how far would i be able to OC it?

i have a
    ABIT "NF7-S" nForce2
    Corsair PC3200 1 Gig RAM
    Thermalright Sp-97 + Antec 92mm
    Last edited by Monkeee; 10-10-2004 at 02:23 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    See page 4-3 and 4-4 of your manual.

Go into bios setup/soft menu III, and select "User Define" for the CPU Operating Speed.

Once you've done that, the next two items are unlocked. I suggest you set these to 166 and 11.5 initially. Those are the defaults for the desktop processor, but it is a good starting point for overclocking.

Next, go down to CPU Interface and change that to enabled.

Next, change the Power Supply Controller setting to User Define. This unlocks the next four settings. You don't need to change them yet, but you will later.

Finally, check the CPU Over Temp. Protect setting and make sure it is at it's lowest value.

Once you've determined a good speed for your processor, you will want to alter the CPU FSB/Dram Ratio to get the best out of your memory too, but the rule with OCing is change one thing at a time, so that's for later.

Come back when you've got that setup and we can give you some advice on how to proceed (or read Peerzyboy's overclocking guide).
    Last edited by lynx; 10-11-2004 at 02:59 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    mattesca's Avatar Poster
    my cpu isnt reconized
    AMD Mobile 2400XP @ 2500Mhz 1.75Vcore = 2.5Ghz
    Abit NF7-S with SP-97 heatsink
    OCZ 2X256MB Pc3200 2-2-2-5
    Antec 400watt PSU
    120GB WD HDD
    MSI 9800XT
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Black Chieftec Matrix w/ 5BlueLED Case Fans
    800watt Sony/Bose Speaker System

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by mattesca
    my cpu isnt reconized
    Can't say I'm surprised.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    ok lynx i'm done with all the set up, after you told me to alter i got 1.92 GHz. What next?

PS:these are permenent right? if i like reformatt with WINXP every stay's the same, right?

i'm trying to go for a 2.5 GHz.... thats not pushing it too far right?
    Last edited by Monkeee; 10-10-2004 at 03:45 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by mattesca
    my cpu isnt reconized
    i still cant belive u hit 2.5ghz with only 1.75vcore...

im soo jealous....

i have to be at 1.875 for 2.44ghz....with my 2500+M u got a really good stepping there...

My Blog
    I'm still here.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeee
    ok lynx i'm done with all the set up, after you told me to alter i got 1.92 GHz. What next?

PS:these are permenent right? if i like reformatt with WINXP every stay's the same, right?

i'm trying to go for a 2.5 GHz.... thats not pushing it too far right?
    These settings are permanent until you clear the cmos, installing XP (or any other OS) has no effect.

Before you start doing anything you need to find your operating temps, both at idle and under full load. If you haven't already installed XP do that now, then use something like Sandra to perform burn-in tests. You need to run the processor at full load for at least 15 mins to get a realistic reading. But don't forget that the thermal compound takes a while to settle down, so you may not get the best out of your system immediately.

At some point you are going to have to raise Vcore. What is the current setting?

Get that info and you are ready to start.

Is 2.5GHz realistic? That varies very much from chip to chip, you will only find out when you get somewhere near.

Here's a quick breakdown of how to OC.
    Raise the processor speed by adjusting the external clock and/or the multiplier. If it doesn't boot, go back to the previous clock setting and raise vcore by the smallest amount. In either case do a burn-in test to check full load temps. Then repeat the process.

Just one thing, it is important to keep a log of the settings you tried and the temps you got. That way, if you have to clear cmos you can quickly go back to a setting that you know is ok.

Edit: for the burn-in tests just pick ones that test your cpu, leave out the ones that test disks and video performance etc.
    Last edited by lynx; 10-10-2004 at 04:47 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast