Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with upgrading

I've (finally) got some money put to the side for computer upgrades, so i'm wondering what to upgrade first. My specs go as follows...

(copy/pasted from cpu-z)

video card = 9700pro (128mb)
    cpu = amd 2600+ (2.13)
    ram = 2 stick of SpekTec(sp?) DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512MB
    mobo = MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL MS-6390

I'm in the process of getting a new hard drive very soon (40gigs isnt really working out too well)

Thanks!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    just fucking amazing,i suggest you consider what is more important.Personally i would go with hard drive first,then a video card.If possible RAM third.As your should hold up for sometime
    Last edited by HailAntonLaVey; 10-10-2004 at 02:22 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I'd just get a enw hard drive. Then save money up for a while so you can buy a new CPU (64bit) and motherboard, and more ram.

If you like gaming then buy a video card as well.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Easy - upgrade the mobo.
    I've never liked MSI.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    Easy - upgrade the mobo.
    I've never liked MSI.
    Indeed.
    An Abit NF7-S or Asus A7N8X-deluxe would be a good investment.
    Your T-bred is easily able to run at +2.2GHZ on either board ( assuming your RAM is up to it).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Hard drive, ram (at least pc3200) and video card. You should be able to do some OCing with that board if you want, but you will probably need the faster ram.

Personally I wouldn't bother buying anything that you won't be able to move over to a 64-bit board/processor, so apart from the above I think you should hang on to your cash for the time being. Unless you can afford the 64-bit stuff right now.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    TheRealDave's Avatar †Problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Hard drive, ram (at least pc3200) and video card. You should be able to do some OCing with that board if you want, but you will probably need the faster ram.

Personally I wouldn't bother buying anything that you won't be able to move over to a 64-bit board/processor, so apart from the above I think you should hang on to your cash for the time being. Unless you can afford the 64-bit stuff right now.
    lynx your sig works no more

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by HailAntonLaVey
    just fucking amazing,i suggest you consider what is more important.Personally i would go with hard drive first,then a video card.If possible RAM third.As your should hold up for sometime

No shit , my thoughts too!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ya i was thinking aboot the mobo and ram. Gotta get a bigger case though, my compaq case is so small you cant fit a goddamn thing into it. What would be the best mobo and ram to look into though?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by opivykid
    Ya i was thinking aboot the mobo and ram. Gotta get a bigger case though, my compaq case is so small you cant fit a goddamn thing into it. What would be the best mobo and ram to look into though?
    I woulkdn't worry about mobo unless you were going to buy a new professor as well (64bit).

for ram, pc3200 at least and atleast 512mb. 1 gig would be nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast