Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Network] Having Problems, maybe router...

Okay i put this in Software as im pritty ure its the router thats messing up.

This is my internet:

It use to be the same but i swappe the router and hub around b3ecuase one day i just woke up and the intereb was gone, not working. I took the router out of the network and it worked but i couldnt only get it to work on PC1, and not PC2 no matter what i tried. Ofcourse without the router i could only have 1 pc plugged in at once, however now iv got them both plugged in and still only PC1 works.

Any ideas at all. I know the cables, router and hub are all good as DU shows small ammounts of traffic between them. Like 0.5kb/s etc etc... Iv tried system restore, turning everything off for a bit and letting it all cool down and reboot. Iv had a lookm at settings and they all look good but im not sure what else to try. ANyone got any ideas?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    vampiro's Avatar Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    whats make is ya router??? coz most routers nowa days come with a 4 port hub intragrated into it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by vampiro
    whats make is ya router??? coz most routers nowa days come with a 4 port hub intragrated into it
    The reason i use a hub is becuse the second Pc is upstairs and i do not have a long enough cable.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    If you just plug the modem into the router and one computer into teh router the internet doesn't work?

what have you recently changed?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ROSSCO_2004
    If you just plug the modem into the router and one computer into teh router the internet doesn't work?

what have you recently changed?
    Correct, no internet. If i go from the modem into the pc with nothing in the middle it works and if i use the hub it works. But the router is working becuase i can see the rgiht lights flashing and its sending packets between the two pc's just not with teh netage.

Changed nothing. Went back on system restore on both pc's about a week back.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    You're absolutely sure you have modem connected to WAN port, computers to lan ports, and in the config page you have the internet setup right?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Right now im at my downstairs PC, i have the hub right next to me. The hub has 6 ports, 5 Lan and 1 uplink. I have the modem, cable going into this pc and cable going upstairs into the router all plugged into the LAn holes. Nothing in the uploink (not sure if this makes a difference) In the upstairs router it has 5 holes. 1 wan and 4 lan. The cable coming from the hub is going into a LAN hole and the other cable in the router goes into my main upstairs pc. It also has a printer server but i do not use that.

Have not changed any internet settings. Went to bed it was downloading 4gb of roms from newsgroups woke up no interweb and still ahve 3.7gb oof roms to download.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Went upstaisn and changed the cable that comes from the hub down stairs from the lan port into the WAN port and on the router if the light is full it means its working but if it flickers it means its sending and recieving and both my upstairs pc and the wan just stayed solid green where as b4 they flashed to show they were working.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    that's confusing.

just do this:

modem plugs into wan port on router.

computer next to router plugs into lan port on router.

run long wire from router lan port to hub. then other wire from hub to computer.

Now you just go into your router's config page and setup your connection in there (you put the password, login, all those details in).

Sounds like you still have the software on each PC too. Uninstall that, the router takes care of making the connection.

Sorry if you already have this setup, i'm a little confused. If you do, then does your router have a light on it that says if it's got a net connection? if so is that on or off?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ROSSCO_2004
    that's confusing.

just do this:

modem plugs into wan port on router.

computer next to router plugs into lan port on router.

run long wire from router lan port to hub. then other wire from hub to computer.

Now you just go into your router's config page and setup your connection in there (you put the password, login, all those details in).

Sounds like you still have the software on each PC too. Uninstall that, the router takes care of making the connection.

Sorry if you already have this setup, i'm a little confused. If you do, then does your router have a light on it that says if it's got a net connection? if so is that on or off?
    My router is upstairs no where near the modem, this is my hub that is down stairs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast