Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Email from Paramount

Poster
    Hi I got a phone call today from my ISP in England telling me they had had an email from Paramount about me dl films or to be precise Collateral. They said they did not pass on my details but not to do it again and not to worry. I wondered what people think?
    Heres a copy of the email.

Notice ID:7131948
    Notice Date:4 Oct 2004 16:41:27 GMT

Dear Sir or Madam:

BayTSP, Inc. ("BayTSP") swears under penalty of perjury that Paramount Pictures Corporation ("Paramount") has authorized BayTSP to act as its non-exclusive agent for copyright infringement notification. BayTSP's search of the protocol listed below has detected infringements of Paramount's copyright interests on your IP addresses as detailed in the attached report.

BayTSP has reasonable good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of in the attached report is not authorized by Paramount, its agents, or the law. The information provided herein is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Therefore, this letter is an official notification to effect removal of the detected infringement listed in the attached report. The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, the Universal Copyright Convention, as well as bilateral treaties with other countries allow for protection of client's copyrighted work even beyond U.S. borders. The attached documentation specifies the exact location of the infringement.

We hereby request that you immediately remove or block access to the infringing material, as specified in the copyright laws, and insure the user refrains from using or sharing with others Paramount's materials in the future (see, 17 U.S.C. §512).

Further, we believe that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. We urge you to take immediate action to stop this infringing activity and inform us of the results of your actions. We appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.

Please send us a prompt response indicating the actions you have taken to resolve this matter. Please reference the Notice ID number above in your response.

Nothing in this letter shall serve as a waiver of any rights or remedies of Paramount with respect to the alleged infringement, all of which are expressly reserved. Should you need to contact me, I may be reached at the following address:

Mark Ishikawa
    Chief Executive Officer
    BayTSP, Inc.
    PO Box 1314
    Los Gatos, CA 95031

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    i got one from that tosser

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    natedogg's Avatar R.I.P. Nate Dogg :(
    don't worry keep on dloding movies

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    England? I could have sworn people were only getting caught in America. Well, make sure u are using an IP blocker. I recommend Protowall from http://www.bluetack.co.uk and a good firewall. There are many to choose from. If you have high speed internet I also recommend getting a router to act as a hardware firewall. Also, dont download newly released movies (both in theaters and on dvd/vhs) Wait a month or two. Also, dont download music and movies on Fasttrack (Kazaa) Many fakes there as well as the #1 place on getting caught. After you have those done, you can probably download without getting caught. Although you still might seeing as they might monitor you more closely.

EDIT: Wait, it seems ur in Enland yet the email origonated in California, America. So, they techinically have no judical power over you right?
    blah blah blah... whatever...

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    My ISP did say that if i did it again then they WOULD pass on my details.
    Thats what I thought. I thought the US film companies couldn't do anything over here and that this was just scare mongering in the hope that I would go "oh no I better not do it again". Or have they really got teeth?
    Just worked out it must have been when I dl the repack (cos of sound problems) from Pheonixtorrents . Someone else on there says they got a mail from their cable co over dl Collateral as well.
    I only dl movies from torrent sites NEVER Kazaa!!! I have a good firewall, I'm on ADSL with an internal modem and I have heard others say Protowall isn't woreth the bother.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    who is your ISP

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Timewarp

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Mr. Blunt's Avatar n00b
    They probably have some relationship with the english government.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    well im in australia and just got one from my isp with a letter from universal re: chronicles of riddick... should i be concerned? any way around it... have a billion 5100 with internal firewall and am running sygate pro and yet they still 'allegedly' think someone on my network is d/l things that are "allegedly" copyrighted....

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Mr. Blunt's Avatar n00b
    Firewalls won't stop RIAA/MPAA or whatever from finding out what your sharing. If you import bad IP addresses into the firewall that may help a little bit, but your never 100% safe from anti-piracy organizations.

About the letter, I say remove the file they suspected you of sharing for a while. Then after some time, place it back in your shared folder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast