Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between..?

Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...

Surprised/Amazed

...DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW ?

I can pretty much surmise that the "R" and "RW" stand for "writable once" and "re-writable" respectively.

However the whole "-" or "+" deal throws me off somewhat.

I have a DVD+R/RW drive currently installed into my system. Does this necessarily mean that I should make certain to purchase and use only blank DVD's of the "+" type for burning data in this drive?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Hello I'm not 100% but if your dvd burner only says dvd+ then you should probably only use that kind of disc, I find it a bit odd because normally most burners are dvd- and having a+ burner aswell is a bonus, mine is was only a £60 burner and it burns both, I dunno what the advantages are of using +media but it supposed to be slightly better you might find more info here http://www.dvdplusrw.org/ the draw back is that dvd+ is not compatable with every player so if you ever need to burn something for some1 its best to do it on a dvd-r, I use dvd+r beecause I can burn them and my player plays them but these discs don't work on my brothers and brother in laws players, another example I found at my cost was that playstation 2's don't play dvd+ discs

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    From the very little I've read recently, +R/RW is a little more reliable as you can set the 'book type' to DVD-ROM (rather than DVD+R/RW) which may fool some standalone players into believing it's actually a factory disc, whereas you can't do this with DVD-R/RW.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Thank-you. Both of you.

I checked that site and found it very helpful. And it pretty much is like Smurfette says.

A more reliable DVD medium in terms of write speeds and player compatibility than the "-" types. Overall, it is what is considered ideal for mass data storage. Great!

When I purchased my new system, I thought that DVD drives were much the same as CD-ROM drives. Coming mainly in two flavors, "R" and "RW". However I was thrown aback when I was browsing for blank DVD disks and seeing that there were all these differing types. My DVD type is the "+" so that is what I purchased. Yet I can see that I can utilize both. But knowing that some players (and possibly some PC's) will reject the "-" type, why would I ever want to bother with anything other than "+" ?

Thank-you, again.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    natedogg's Avatar R.I.P. Nate Dogg :(
    i think its the same is cdr and rw, man yall getting me dizzy *walks over to bed to lay down*

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    @Izagaia sorry if you picked that up wrong but I was trying to say that the dvd-r discs are more compatible with the majority of players, if I was to burn something for some1 whos player I knew nothing about I would do it as dvd-r to be on the safe side.

and np for the help.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    its like gas and diesel.......

you cant put gas in your diesel engine and visa versa....... it just wont work

DVD- will work on most stand alone dvd players.......

DVD+ has the advantage of being more expensive, but more reliable....

it doesnt matter to much which you get, but best is a +/- burner.......

its really time for the industry to go with one standard.......

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    DDRFREAK1030's Avatar DDR PRO xD
    so +r won work in ps2?

im getting confused

one said +r more reliable another said -r

for old comps is -r more reliable? or is it +R?

sometimes my discs(+r) work in my friends

is -r more compatible with the older dvd-rom drives

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Most players will read both +R and -R disks. If you have a player that won't read one type, I suggest the fault lies with the player not the type of disk; it is probably so old it needs replacing anyway.

However, +R disks have a couple of small technical advantages, one being the ability to "bit set" the book type. If the software on the disk checks the media type this can be a way of fooling it, but the software writers are well aware of this and will probably use other methods to prevent copying anyway.

The disadvantage of +R discs is that they are generally more expensive, although the price difference has shrunk dramatically in recent months.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I have no trouble getting dvd+r to work on my playstation 2. There are a bunch of different versions of the playstion 2 out. I have the V9 and its unmodded. Plus it even said on the box that it can read dvd+r/rw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast