what are the steps i need to do to install the drive

i think its new because it looks very new. my friends gave it to me

can some1 help?

im at skewl rite now so i gotta go

aite

peace out

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Open up the case, put the drive into a slot, screw it into place.
    attach the ide cable (wide and flat) and the power cable (four wires - red, yellow, 2 black) into the drive.

Now you have to set the jumper. (it is on the back of the drive) If it is on the end of the IDE cable then set this jumper to master. If the drive is in the middle of the cable then it should be set to slave.

If there is only one drive on the cable make sure to put it on the end (and set jumper to master).

If you want this driver for windows then it should be master of the primary IDE cable.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    DDRFREAK1030's Avatar DDR PRO xD
    i did that but it wont boot

ive lefft itjust sitting there because i couldnt use it.

what do i need to do to make it work with my current computer.

i have windows xp and the 2nd harddrive( the 1 im tryin to install) is set to slave

help again plz

(still at skool)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    oh ya forgot a part was in a hurry, go into your bios, go to the standard cmos options or something similar where it detetcs your drives. Choose autodetect if you hhave the option, otherwise set up this screen manually (once you are there you should understand it since you seem to know a bit about computers.

Also in another part of the bios is where you choose boot order. Make sure the hard drive is somewhere on that list.

Last, you need an OS (windows, linux, etc.) to be able to boot, so you gottta install that.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ROSSCO_2004
    Open up the case, put the drive into a slot, screw it into place.
    attach the ide cable (wide and flat) and the power cable (four wires - red, yellow, 2 black) into the drive.

Now you have to set the jumper. (it is on the back of the drive) If it is on the end of the IDE cable then set this jumper to master. If the drive is in the middle of the cable then it should be set to slave.

If there is only one drive on the cable make sure to put it on the end (and set jumper to master).

If you want this driver for windows then it should be master of the primary IDE cable.
    Rossco would this what I would have to do if i just wanted to add an extra HD just for storage? does it matter what disc i already got or what size or make it is? would it be just a slave?
    cheers

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLY-THE-FISH
    Rossco would this what I would have to do if i just wanted to add an extra HD just for storage? does it matter what disc i already got or what size or make it is? would it be just a slave?
    cheers
    Well, how many cd drives you got in there? Usually I put the hard drives on the primary IDE cable. The one with windows, usually the newest drive, is set to master and on end of the cable. The storage drive will also be on primary IDE cable and set to slave and in middle of ide cable.
    CD drives I put on the secondary ide cable. The one used more I put in the master position, but this is just because of cable length (i like to have the one i use up higher so i can reach).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    If you going to use it as storage then you might be transfering large files between harddrives. I have two harddrives on seperate ide channels both set as master. It makes a difference when trying to transfer files.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    Well, how many cd drives you got in there? Usually I put the hard drives on the primary IDE cable. The one with windows, usually the newest drive, is set to master and on end of the cable. The storage drive will also be on primary IDE cable and set to slave and in middle of ide cable.
    CD drives I put on the secondary ide cable. The one used more I put in the master position, but this is just because of cable length (i like to have the one i use up higher so i can reach).
    I've got 2 Cd/ Dvd Drives, but what has that to do with Hard Drives (sorry if thats an obvious question).
    I think i'll do as you say and put it as slave on the middle of my existing Hd Ide Cable.

Cheers

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLY-THE-FISH
    I've got 2 Cd/ Dvd Drives, but what has that to do with Hard Drives (sorry if thats an obvious question).
    I think i'll do as you say and put it as slave on the middle of my existing Hd Ide Cable.

Cheers
    well if you had no cd drives then you could put the second ahrd drive into the secondary ide cable. might be faster for transfering big files.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    well if you had no cd drives then you could put the second ahrd drive into the secondary ide cable. might be faster for transfering big files.
    Oh Ok Thanks for advice!