Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for the religious.......................

Poster
    Ok.... I have a q for you religious types that believe in life after death.

It amuses me when people concoct these bogus 'psychological comfort zones' when they can’t answer certain questions about the reason why we eat, breath, procreate and poop. I had a muslim try and grill me the over day over my rejection of the existence of a god which is the reason why I’m starting this thread. I didn’t challenge the guy; he approached me with it in the street. I know religion is a form of identity and I’ve read that 90% of the human population believes in one of the 100 odd god’s that have manifested over the centuries. But if you are religious (or simply born into a religious culture) then do you really believe that there is a bearded man in the sky watching over you?

Btw, I’m not attacking you if you are of a religious persuasion. I would like this to be a simple discussion about the big ‘guy in the sky’. Hold you’re ground if you believe in one of the gods . I’m just curious on this HUGE subject. This conflict of beliefs (between religions) has caused a lot of blood shed and destruction over the years.

Are we really that fucking backwards? Is the atheist ahead of his/her time?

You say god is the creator of man right?

MEN wrote the bible, koran and any other religious literature that exists today.

If this is true (which it is) then the world was created (naturally) by chaos.

The devil is the lord of chaos........so who is your creator now?
    Last edited by 121; 10-14-2004 at 12:12 AM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    There is being religious and being spiritual, two quite different things.

Are you saying that you don't think there are any great forces at play in our universe? (I'm not talking about a man with a beard.)

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Pretty much what VB1234 says. I'm not a religious guy but I know there are more powerful forces at work than myself.

It would be nice if you could phrase your questions or arguments in the manner of an adult though.

Perhaps I'm just a bit bored of the constant stream of people asking about the existence of God? Or perhaps I've heard it all before? (only worded better...you know less insulting...)

4. Lounge   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Since the human brain evolved enough to make us aware of our own mortality we needed a mechanism to counteract this frightening thought. The notion of a God and the afterlife is this mechanism.

As a side note, w00t - 'reprocreate' I've learned a new word
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Go fourth. And reprocreate.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    Go fourth. And reprocreate.
    Reprocreate this, mother-reprocreater
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

7. Lounge   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Reprocreate this, mother-reprocreater
    Well-put.

This should be in "The Talk Club", I think.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    lol,

Fucking typos

Virtualbody1234,

There are things we could never understand about the universe. Like an ant could never know it is crawling over a Nike trainer. Shouldn't we all just admit we don't have the answers instead of believing in a fairy tale created when man thought the world was flat? It just astounds me that god-fearing people REALLY believe these colourful stories.

WithCheese,

Sorry if my initial post seemed childish and rude. I just want to get straight to the point

Manker,

I see what you mean but mechanism or not we all must know we will eventually just be food for the worms (recycled to say the least ). We all live on through memories and our children. I bet even priests know this deep down but if this were true then the way of priesthood is a perversion of nature.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    I am christian and its just hard for me to believe that all of this happened without God. its just to perfect. its like a car in a junkyard, it didn't just make itself, somebody probally built it piece by piece

10. Lounge   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by 121
    Manker,

I see what you mean but mechanism or not we all must know we will eventually just be food for the worms (recycled to say the least ). We all live on through memories and our children. I bet even priests know this deep down but if this were true then the way of priesthood is a perversion of nature.
    No. I do believe that religeous types truly expect that they will enter into the kingdom of heaven, or an equivalent, upon their demise; it is not for us to judge nor to pour scorn on the notion.

We should respect their beliefs since there is no way to prove or disprove either viewpoint save for when we die. Traditionally it's pretty difficult to say 'I told you so' after that point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast