Thread: Avi=divx?

if I have a dvdplayer that plays divx, will I be able to watch ani AVI clip on it?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Retired
    use Gspot 2 check if they are encoded with divx. most the the current avi's are Xvid

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam-King
    if I have a dvdplayer that plays divx, will I be able to watch ani AVI clip on it?
    It will be able to play Xvid as well as divX

They can't play anything that has been encoded using Qpel or GMC or with strange audio streams

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBarker
    It will be able to play Xvid as well as divX

They can't play anything that has been encoded using Qpel or GMC or with strange audio streams
    so every DVD player that supports Divx also supports Xvid even if its not mentioned

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam-King
    AVI is a type of file which combines a whole variety of video formats with MP3, AC3 or WAV audio. those DivX DVD players play MPEG-4 AVIs. DivX is one type of MPEG-4. XviD is one type of MPEG-4. so the DivX players are really MPEG-4 players.

since almost all AVI files use MPEG-4 video, the MPEG-4 DVD players can play almost all AVI files. but there are plenty of other video formats that an AVI file could contain, which will not play in MPEG-4 DVD players.

if you're worried about the compatibility rate, there's not much need to. your chance of accidentally downloading a non-DivX/XviD AVI file is extremely low.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P

Laugh

Hello!

The major issue with DivX compatible DVD players are that DivX or Xvid format are ever changing and evolving formats unlike DVD or SVCD(Mpeg2) or VCD(Mpeg1). So current DVD players support DivX 3.x 4.X or 5.X but when 6.X is released the DVD Players would need a firmware update in order to play files encoded with the new version of the codec. So can we trust that the Manufacturer will release Firmware updates or will they force people to buy new players??. Some manufacturers will probably be nice and update but some wont giv a damn and just release new products so it is important to select the correct brand when choosing a DivX compatible player the problem is to know which brands will be nice and which will be bad???
    Last edited by Joakim Agren; 10-14-2004 at 07:39 PM.

Sincerely Joakim Agren!