Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polls Show Worsening U.S. Reputation Worldwide

spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    Well, if you are throwing around the word dictator........
    Just calling like I see it. CORRUPT
    Well, I guess you should try taking off the blinders to see better...

or maybe obtaining another eye to go with the one you got for some perception....

I'm joking of course Ruthie... you bring out the absolute sarcasm in me
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Actually, as one of your own Republican Senators pointed out last year... The young in the UK and most of Europe used to look to the USA for their example, not their own country.

This has only changed in last couple of years...
    If they looked to us as an example; then I guess you could conclude that they would follow in the fight against terrorism. If not; I guess it was just that America fell in line with their ideological viewpoints at that time.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Comic_Peddler's Avatar Poster
    [QUOTE=ZaZu]Not all questions were asked in every country.
    QUOTE]

Hardly a scientific survey when you do not ask the same question to everybody.

I have said it before, but these "studies" are to easily skewed in order to get whatever your desired result is, whether for good or bad.

As a side note, I find it funny that Mexico would say how bad the U.S. is when this year alone, it is predicted that over 3 million Mexicans will move to the U.S. ILLEGALLY.

As a side note to the previous side note, am I the only one who finds it funny that Vicente Fox, the Mexican President, is repeatedly and ardulantly fighting to open the U.S./Mexican border, but refuses to allow people to enter Mexico thru its southern borders?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    If the USA had "Fell into line" with the Europeans, then they wouldnt have lost popularity.

The evidence is pretty straight forward.. the USA did something, that made the young of Europe, decide that the USA didnt deserve the respect that they once did...

Jees, i wonder what that was?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningfreemanny
    Come on; you will never see a country say "I love America!"...This isn't their country and any sensible country would like to see the largest one fall. This has always been other countries mindset...example; ask americans how thay view France, or ask Mexico how thay view Great Britain. All countries dislike other countries unless they do something in their national interest.

tell me....do you think it will improve with this attitude?

Will things get better by finding common ground and working from there or by the girlie attitude of " the're so not sitting with us at lunch break" ?

Thats whats so scary about Kerry relenting to the persuasion of other countries
    Kerry hasn't said he will relent to the persuasions of other countries..he said we need to make efforts to get them to work with us instead of against us.
    If you think this is wrong that's fine, but don't misquote the policy into something it's not

If they looked to us as an example; then I guess you could conclude that they would follow in the fight against terrorism. If not; I guess it was just that America fell in line with their ideological viewpoints at that time.
    the rest of the world (well a considerable part) were fighting terrorism LONG before we joined in... I think a better attitude would be us fighting terrorism alongside the rest of the world instead of suggesting they follow us
    Last edited by vidcc; 10-15-2004 at 06:29 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningfreemanny
    lib sludge!
    Way to go Manny, there is a thread somewhere here I saw wanting a new name for this forum. I think this is a winner

It's more prudent to spend time figuring out what's right than who's right

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSeeder
    Way to go Manny, there is a thread somewhere here I saw wanting a new name for this forum. I think this is a winner
    Tha's right Billy Bob...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    This is from an old thread, but I think it applies to this one.
    RF when you said that the youth looked to us, until now, are you saying they were really impressed with Vietnam, or was it our fine work in South America. US foreign policy hasn't changed since 1900 in any sifnificant way.

I guess the question I am asking is: Does any government ever act altruistically? Does a leader of a nation tell his people that they are going to have to suffer this winter because all excess grains will be sent to help those starving, because "it is the right thing to do?" Will he remove all the cars and replace them with bikes, will he ask people to give up hot showers in the morning? Would such a fool, even see the revolution coming? You cannot succeed as a leader by stepping backwards.

I would venture that the goal of all elected officials is to elevate the standard of living in his country. How this has been performed throughout history is different. Before, people often attempted to conquer and occupy land, now we find it easier to exert control over regions through "friendly" governments to secure what we need.

I don't think the US is being globally influencial/imperialistic for the fun of it, it relies on so many different things from all over the world, and it is attempting to secure these items. The United States was awarded the Phillipines in the Spanish-American War, we let them choose independence. We have not captured Puerto Rico, Cuba or the Virgin Islands. If they had something we needed, consider them ours, otherwise we don't just pointlessly acquire countries.

So my point is that people are people and governments are governments (each one wanting to become more powerful or secure- how this plays out for the individual citizen varies greatly based on the type of governing body). I made no attempt to justify what my country does. I wanted to explain that it, like all it's powerful predecessors, is doing what it is able to do, to ensure the its future and make it stronger. This is a pattern repeated throughout history. We have control now. On day, when we stumble and fall, your country will take over, and you will strive to do what we are doing. Your methods may be different, but damn straight you will use whatever means necessary to secure what you need.

So, I have no problem with your anger at some of our policies, or how we attempt to secure our future. You are here to be our buddies as it benefits us (and the reciprocol is true), but we are not in a popularity contest. Given the same power, the same standard of living, and the same needs, your country would act no differently. Don't pretend to be somehow morally superior, it just doesn't wash.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Has anybody done Polls for the Reputation of
    India
    Jamaica
    Espana
    Curacao
    Luxembourg
    etc
    etc

no oh really....its seems we only poll for one nation.....

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    @Hobbes

And is what you're describing necessarily a good thing for the sake of our planet? NO

IMO we should fight agains nationalism that you describe, and forget the bloody past however it expresses itself...

We should all be fighting for progression of the world, and not for individual countries.

Forget the (bloody) past.........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast