Comic_Peddler's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Barky
    Forget the (bloody) past.........
    Those who forget the past........

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic_Peddler
    Those who forget the past........
    Yea yea, I know the standard history quote.

What I mean is; Move on!

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Barky
    @Hobbes

And is what you're describing necessarily a good thing for the sake of our planet? NO

IMO we should fight agains nationalism that you describe, and forget the bloody past however it expresses itself...

We should all be fighting for progression of the world, and not for individual countries.

Forget the (bloody) past.........

What does progression of the world mean? Where are we going? If you mean a global way of distributing housing, food, natural resources and wealth, well that sounds like a nice college term paper, but is ultimately naive.

You need to understand human nature and it's limitations.

What is France doing to make the world better? Please list for me any country that is out to save the world and not line it's pockets.

And our altruistic UN, created to save the world. Has turned into a money laundering scam. Illegal war, as declared by the corrupt UN, what a joke.

You think France gives a shit about the people of Iraq and the sovereignity of their nation? France had much more to gain financially by staying out of Iraq, and this is why they were going to veto an attack at all cost. Oil and money, that's all France cares about.

So if we fall in popularity votes, well that's not really a concern to me because it may reflect more about the agendas of other countries more than "right or wrong".

I think a more important piece of information is "how do Americans feel about their country and the path its leadership has taken". I for one don't think Bush has done anything but undermine our credibility on a very large scale, given the global media coverage concerning Iraq.

It basically tells the World, "Hell, I'm liable to do anything I please. I have no problem "justifying" it with lies or misinformation, and in the end, I just change my story".
    Last edited by hobbes; 10-16-2004 at 02:27 AM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    I'm not saying that the US should bend over and distribute their resources to the world as it is now.

I was just making a point as what seemed to me to be shameless praise about how the current system works, and how every country should look after itself.

I realise how the world works, but with progressing our planet I mean that we have to start changing the current system. We need to move on. Meaning we need to look past borders and realise that we're all living on the same planet. This might sound cliche, but it does so because it's a fact. This would of course have to apply to all countries including France.

Progression is to help feed the 3 billion people or so who are starving in the world.

Praisinig the current system isn't the right way to go imo, though this is getting pretty far off topic (just wanted to express what I meant by the previous post).

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    I edited my last post, as I thought everyone had gone to bed. Aparently you were composing a reply. You might check it out before you get the impression that I am praising Bush.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Yea, I wouldn't normally be composing a reply at this hour.

I agree with your edit though...

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Hobbes, the USA had a huge influence on the youth of the western world.

A couple of years ago the influence was positive, now due mostly to Bush, its virtually disappeared.

You were the Land of the Free... now we see that your not.

You were the greatest Democracy on Earth.... now we see that your not.

You looked after your own..... now we see that you dont.

You TRIED to bring peace..... now we see you brining war and putting peace even further out of reach.

In the last 2-3 years, the hollywood image has shattered....THATS what our young saw. Hollywood, a land of hero's.

Now they watch the news... to see their friends/family going to a war that shouldnt have been.

America is just the latest in a long line of world powers..

And its made its 1st big mistake as a world power, not only uniting nearly 1/3 of the world against it but making sure the populations of its allies have lost all respect for it 1st...

I've said before, that USA on balance has been a force for Good in the world. Ive also said that they have done some nasty things in both History and currently, just like the UK.

The Balance is rapidly changing though...and the kids of Europe, your future allies(?), are the ones that can see this as much as anyone. The current Governments may still support you...but the popualtions perceptions and beliefs in you are changing, we are democratic countries..

How long before anti-american becomes an election issue? Not long at this rate...
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 10-16-2004 at 09:21 AM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Well, when people base their opinions on a Hollywood ideal, reality is bound to be a disappointment.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    This is indeed true Hobbes, however these ideals have been the USA's biggest export for most of the last century....

I think it was a rude awakening for those that didnt follow the news until their noses where buried in it.

Makes you wonder when they will look into their own History, and see that we arent exactly Angels, and never were even before all this...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123