Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: martial arts in schools

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Are you trying to tell us SGG has a temper?

I'd never have noticed that

I think, from what i've seen, that you've done OK there as a parent Biggles

She appears to be able to hold her own mentally, and from what you say, physically too

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes

Thanks

Fiery is the best description!

Somewhat like Magrat, she takes the view that Wiccans are peaceful and if any say otherwise.......
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    @ Hobbes...do you have children of your own ?, you have made no mention of it and your entire arguement has been based on yourself so i would like to know.

@ all
    Here's the thing.

This is MY 5 year old being taught to do something i have constantly told her is wrong.

If it was a later age and my permission was sought i wouldn't have been so concerned.

This is NOT school corriculum, it is an after school activity that the coach took upon himself to bring into the daytime class..... The coach recognised the problem and the concerns, this was the first time he tried anything like this and was glad of the feed back.

If i wanted my kids to grow up learning combat in school there is an excelent military acadamy in the middle of town.

I have no objection to Martial arts as an after school activity...i have huge objections to it in daytime.

I probably would have shown no concern had they not require my daughter to kick the instructor in the belly.... a punch bag would have been acceptable
    Last edited by vidcc; 10-16-2004 at 04:19 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    I understand what your saying, and agree with you vidcc...

Personally, i dont think any children @ age 5 should be taught how to fight... even with parental consent. That anyone would do this without....

As I said beforehand, the most i would allow personally is Tia Chi.

Like yourself, i would be at the school and giving them hell...

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    I've gotta agree with what your saying there vidcc, had my kids school decided to teach extra curricular activities without my consent I'd be straight down the school to complain regardless of what it was. I like to know what my kids do at school.

I gotta disagree with RF though. My little girl started Karate at 6 and it has taught her a lot; respect, discipline and control. It’s also a great hobby that we can share together as I joined up the class after she got her red belt (the third belt).
    The competitive side is not as bad as it seems either. Under sixteens cannot strike to the head and any hit to the body has do be done with control. She's been there 8 months now and in that time I have seen 2 students get hurt and both times was through falling over.

IMO karate is a great sport at any age.

typo.
    Last edited by namzuf9; 10-16-2004 at 04:49 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Vidcc, I fail to see the difference between hitting someone in the head with a rubber ball and karate. How is one appropriate daytime activity, but the other is somehow defined as an afterschool activity requiring consent? It seems arbitrary.

I was relating to you a prospective study of myself and the 35 other children in my class. Most of the kids I went to gradeschool with, graduated highschool with me and are well adjusted.

Those that have grown up to have problems, are those that came from broken homes. Not necessarily single parent families, but more antagonism between the parents.

My best friends (fraternal twins) had their brother die in 3rd grade. This caused the parents' relationship to collapse and my 3rd grade friends had to deal with the guilt associated with this on their own. They unfortunately sought validation outside the home and got involved with the wrong crowd. They are now highschool dropouts and minimum wage earners. One of them actually started sticking himself with needles because he felt he derserved the pain. These are the things that form a troubled adult, not playing in gym.

I agree that you should be aware what activities your children are involved in, but as a phys ed teacher I would wonder why I would need permission for karate and not for any of the other activities which are done. We had jungle gym built over asphalt, now that bad boy should have required a consent form.

I don't need to be burned at the stake to understand that fire is hot. As for hitting other people being "wrong", what is the big deal? Just teach her to respect and treat others as she would wish to be treated. No need to make a big to-do over it.

Play hitting is not the same as an intent to injure, the mentality is totally different. If your daughter can understand not to blow up roadrunner with dynomite, she can understand this.

We all have experienced those over-protective, micro-managing parents. They just tend to take the fun out of everything, as they miss the forest for the trees.

Hush, my baby. Baby, don't you cry.
    Momma's gonna make all of your nightmares come true.
    Momma's gonna put all of her fears into you.
    Momma's gonna keep you right here under her wing.
    She won't let you fly, but she might let you sing.
    Momma's gonna keep Baby cozy and warm.
    Oooo Babe.
    Oooo Babe.
    Ooo Babe, of course Momma's gonna help build a wall.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Again Hobbes i ask....do you have children? ...please answer the question

There is a difference between over protecting and not wishing your child to be taught and made to kick someone in the belly

but i will add that dodgeball is not an activity at this grade

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Again Hobbes i ask....do you have children? ...please answer the question

There is a difference between over protecting and not wishing your child to be taught and made to kick someone in the belly

but i will add that dodgeball is not an activity at this grade
    I don't find the question at all relevant. I will state that I do not have children if that is what you need to hear.

But again. I don't need to be burned at the stake to understand that fire is hot.

Play kicking in the belly is not at all related to kicking with an intent to injure.
    Last edited by hobbes; 10-16-2004 at 05:55 PM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    I don't find the question at all relevant. I will state that I do not have children if that is what you need to hear.

But again. I don't need to be burned at the stake to understand that fire is hot.

Play kicking in the belly is not at all related to kicking with an intent to injure.
    It is incredibly relevent...firstly because you have no idea what you are talking about, secondly because you are not a parent all you see is the end result...you do not see the parents having to intervene between 2 siblings fighting...don't give me that s**t about parental dicipline, you are thinking theory and not reality.
    If an adult can understand that murder is wrong, why do they still do it? and if adults don't stick to the rules what makes you think children will?
    because you are not a parent you can't or won't see the mixed message point about all this. You can't or won't see that i teach my children that hitting is wrong then in school they are told to hit....actions speak louder than words.
    Because you are not a parent you don't have to deal with broken ribs when your child is kicked or your child kicks another child.

I don't give a flying fuck about all those "studies"....Humans are not controlled entities and children even less so
    We all have experienced those over-protective, micro-managing parents. They just tend to take the fun out of everything, as they miss the forest for the trees.

Quote:
    Hush, my baby. Baby, don't you cry.
    Momma's gonna make all of your nightmares come true.
    Momma's gonna put all of her fears into you.
    Momma's gonna keep you right here under her wing.
    She won't let you fly, but she might let you sing.
    Momma's gonna keep Baby cozy and warm.
    Oooo Babe.
    Oooo Babe.
    Ooo Babe, of course Momma's gonna help build a wall.
    you talk out your ass and your opinion is as worthless as your experience raising children.
    There is a big difference between being over protective and teaching right from wrong. You have no idea what i allow my children to do apart from this one concern. I don't shield them from the world, my oldest is begining to understand the world i've lived in
    I have 3 children, each individual and each requiring a different approach. As a parent i can tell you there is only one rule to raising kids..... Throw the rule book away because it's not worth the paper it's written on

Play hitting is not the same as an intent to injure, the mentality is totally different. If your daughter can understand not to blow up roadrunner with dynomite, she can understand this.
    tell me..... does that coyote ever come out of the screen and ask kids to press the plunger to blow the roadrunner up?

Incidently, she doesn't copy cartoons...she copies the people around her

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast