Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norwegians say No to Bush in Washington Post

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Two ads where printed in the Washinton Post on the October 12. With the below ad.

Source: http://www.tellhim.no/?module=displa...02&format=html

"More than 80% of all Norwegians opposed the US-led war in Iraq. A majority also favours the withdrawal of Norwegian forces from Iraq. Still, Norway is perceived as uncritical supporter of the US "war on terror". Norway is on the "willing list" of countries that support this policy, and President George W. Bush also mentioned Norway specifically in his State of the Union address this year.

Tellhim.no has therefore collected money for two ads in the Washington Post, in which we explain the general Norwegian opinion about the war in Iraq, and George W. Bush's foreign policy.

We do not think the US "war on terror" decreases worldwide terror - on the contrary. We oppose the war on Iraq, and we are also against the harassment and torture that we have seen.
    Do you want more? Click here"

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    15% I like this. Thank you so much for posting this link and the information it provides. I plan on sending it around to friends.

I detest this war, too.

Mostly right now I am trying to get past what I have seen lately of the mass graves that they are finding in Iraq. I saw one report where in a mass grave where around 10,000 people were buried a majority had major parts of the skull missing. But it was not from beheading, which would be a horrible but thankfully swift way to meet your physical death. It was from the pouring of acid on the head as a means of torture while one is still alive.

How can we as humans peacefully prevent things like this from happening?

Maybe what the Norwegians are doing is a start, a way. Twould be nice if leaders of countries would listen to things like this. But I am not holding my breath on it.

But a tip of the hat to the Norwegians who care in doing this.

Everose

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    The irony is that in the Us itself there are thousands of people doing the same type of things.

Half a page Ad in Washington post costs 35000 Dollars (wtf.....)(i recently heard Washington post is actually some how in the Bush Family......)

Personally i think it is a waste of money to put so much cash in a one day Ad in Washington Post - 35000 Dollars can buy you alot of stuff, - corruption, stickers, food whatever
    Last edited by 100%; 10-16-2004 at 04:38 PM. Reason: missed a "0" in the cost

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    The Washington Post Company is a diversified media and education company whose principal operations include newspaper and magazine publishing, television broadcasting, cable television systems, electronic information services, and educational and career services.
    The company owns The Washington Post, The Gazette (Maryland), The Herald (Everett, Washington), Newsweek, Newsweek International, television stations in Detroit, Houston, Miami, Orlando, San Antonio and Jacksonville, and cable systems serving subscribers in midwestern, western and southern states.

The company also owns Kaplan, Inc., a leading provider of educational and career services; Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive, a subsidiary that creates and manages electronic information services, principally on the Internet; and Post Newsweek TechMedia Group, which produces technology publications and trade shows primarily for government IT managers and contractors.

The company also has ownership interests in the Los Angeles Times-Washington Post News Service and BrassRing, Inc.

Directors

Donald E. Graham
    Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer
    Chairman, The Washington Post

Warren E. Buffett
    Chairman of the Board, Berkshire Hathaway Inc.

Barry Diller
    Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, IAC/InterActiveCorp, USA Interactive

John L. Dotson Jr.
    Former President and Publisher, Akron Beacon-Journal

Melinda French Gates
    Co-Founder, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

George J. Gillespie, III
    Attorney, Member of Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP

Ronald L. Olson
    Attorney, Member of Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP

Alice M. Rivlin
    Visiting Professor, Georgetown University; Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution

Richard D. Simmons
    Former President and Chief Operating Officer
    The Washington Post Company

George W. Wilson
    President, Concord (NH) Monitor

Committees of the Board of Directors

Audit Committee
    Ronald L. Olson
    Alice M. Rivlin
    Richard D. Simmons

Compensation Committee
    John L. Dotson Jr.
    George W. Wilson

Finance Committee
    Donald E. Graham
    Warren E. Buffett
    Barry Diller
    George J. Gillespie III
    Richard D. Simmons

Executive Committee
    Donald E. Graham
    Warren E. Buffett

Officers

Donald E. Graham
    Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer,
    The Washington Post Company
    Chairman, The Washington Post

Patrick Butler
    Vice President

Diana M. Daniels
    Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary

Ann L. McDaniel
    Vice President

Christopher Ma
    Vice President

John B. Morse, Jr.
    Vice President, Finance and Chief Financial Officer

Gerald M. Rosberg
    Vice President of Planning and Development

Christopher M. Schroeder
    Vice President, Strategy

Daniel J. Lynch
    Treasurer

Wallace R. Cooney
    Controller

Pinkie Dent Mayfield
    Assistant Treasurer

John F. Hockenberry
    Assistant Secretary

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by 15%
    The irony is that in the Us itself there are thousands of people doing the same type of things.

Half a page Ad in Washington post costs 35000 Dollars (wtf.....)(i recently heard Washington post is actually some how in the Bush Family......)

Personally i think it is a waste of money to put so much cash in a one day Ad in Washington Post - 35000 Dollars can buy you alot of stuff, - corruption, stickers, food whatever
    Didn't Bush say he doesn't read the papers?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Didn't Bush say he doesn't read the papers?
    I dont read my Title Deeds, but own the house

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Poster
    I am also heartened to read that the Norwegians agree and want Iraqi to have a democraticaly controlled government, as it appears a majority of the Iraqis do themselves. I see that both Bush and Kerry want this same thing.

It would seem the bitter disagreement is on how they will obtain this.
    Last edited by Everose; 10-16-2004 at 05:28 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    a long read but interesting in your link, 15%, is the feedback the Norwegians that posted this ad are getting.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    I dont read my Title Deeds, but own the house
    I dont listen to my wife. But she still speaks.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Heres the List of Replies : http://www.tellhim.no/?module=displa...99&format=html

Heres the list of international responses to the ad: http://www.tellhim.no/?module=displaystory...698&format=html

"We don't think this will have an effect on the election. That's not our goal," he said when asked if the group hoped that voters would oust Bush next month and elect Democratic challenger John Kerry.

From CNN - http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/12/...reut/index.html
    Last edited by 100%; 10-16-2004 at 07:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast