Thread: DVD and Stereo

Keikan's Avatar ........
    Sitting in my borring ass english class, my teacher was too lazy to teach so she put on a movie (Mississippi Burning). I noticed that there was a

regular black CRT TV

like so

a stereo system

something like this (detachable speakers)

and a dvd player

now the dvd player was hooked up to the tv and the stereo resulting in some quite good sound

now i want to do this at home because i got a tv with pos sound (one speaker)

now my stereo has speakers connected to the stereo with these kinda wires

some thing like that

now my dvd player has a plug called 'optical' but it's only one plug is that where i connect the speakers?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    camstuf's Avatar Poster
    Da, optical is for video.
    Go to this site:
    http://www.showmecables.com/estore/s...ategory_id=218

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Optical is for s/pdif home theater interface. If your stereo hasn't got that then you can't use this connector.

You don't need to worry about what your speaker connection is, you need to connect your dvd player to your stereo, not connect your dvd player to your speakers. The left and right audio channels from your dvd player will probably be connectable via rca plugs, the red one should be the left channel, the white one the right channel. You need to connect these to the "Aux" or line-in of your stereo, but it is difficult to advise you what to get without knowing the connectors on the back of your stereo.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    my stereo doesn't have a line in... i like the speakers anyway to uhh connecting them to the dvd

one time i connected the speaker to my pc by sticking the wire into the plug into the sound card and it worked....
    Last edited by Keikan; 10-18-2004 at 10:01 PM.
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    well you can't you need something to aplify the sound. you gotta find a way to plug it into teh stereo or get a different one.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    any RCA type input other than those labeled "phono" or "record player" will work fine for connecting a DVD players' red and white audio outputs to it.

as discribed above, it isn't rocket science.