Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guides Section

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    We should be allowed to post in a topic but just not allowed to create new ones.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    natedogg's Avatar R.I.P. Nate Dogg :(
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    We should be allowed to post in a topic but just not allowed to create new ones.
    i agree

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    I disagree.

I'm not saying that guides shouldn't be added to, but random posts detract from the point of having pinned guides, namely to cut out all the waffle which often gets added to a thread.

I think an alternative would be to have a single thread with links to posts which people would like added to a guide. Once the guides section is up and running possibly the current pinned thread could be used for this purpose. I haven't had chance to talk to {I}{K}{E} about this (I'm away and only have limited access atm) but I think it follows on from his original idea.

Mind you, we would probably need a guides mod. What makes me think I have just made work for myself.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I prefer a guide just to be what the original poster intended with no posts from anyone else.

If something needs amending then the original poster can do it.

It can't be beyond the realms of possibility for the admin to make it so people can start threads in the section but not post. (I can set that up on my board I know).

That way the thread started can edit his post in the future if he feels his guide needs updating.

Perhaps have a subsection in the Guides section where everyone can post freely for people to comment on the guides constructively.

If a guide needs more than one post (because of word limits and picture limits) just make multiple threads and have a mod merge them when you've finished.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    I prefer a guide just to be what the original poster intended with no posts from anyone else.

If something needs amending then the original poster can do it.

It can't be beyond the realms of possibility for the admin to make it so people can start threads in the section but not post. (I can set that up on my board I know).

That way the thread started can edit his post in the future if he feels his guide needs updating.

Perhaps have a subsection in the Guides section where everyone can post freely for people to comment on the guides constructively.

If a guide needs more than one post (because of word limits and picture limits) just make multiple threads and have a mod merge them when you've finished.
    I think that's what I was implying, but I wasn't aware of the possibility of stopping others posting in a thread. I don't know if that's a possibility in VB or not.

As for adding to a guide, obviously my thoughts on that could be adapted so that the original poster could be asked if a proposed addition is permitted/desirable. It would be a shame to have a good guide which has become inaccurate because of changes over time, when others could add updates if the original poster is no longer active on the board.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    I think that's what I was implying, but I wasn't aware of the possibility of stopping others posting in a thread. I don't know if that's a possibility in VB or not.

As for adding to a guide, obviously my thoughts on that could be adapted so that the original poster could be asked if a proposed addition is permitted/desirable. It would be a shame to have a good guide which has become inaccurate because of changes over time, when others could add updates if the original poster is no longer active on the board.
    I'd imagine it would be possible to stop posting. You have permissions for what people can see (I can't see Team Chat for instance) but I don't know VB that well.

Perhaps if a guide was made by someone who is inactive the guide could be posted by a mod with an acknowledgement of the original poster in the thread title or somesuch. That way it could be updated. (But we get back to the more work for mods bit )

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    Retired

You are allowed to post a reply but not to make a new thread.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    TheRealDave's Avatar †Problem child
    yeah as somewhere to ask questions if they were to have problems following the guide

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    are the guides every going to be moved there?

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    are the guides every going to be moved there?

You know its hard, for a senior member like me to find the guides! How is a new member suppose to ask for help ? So they ask here and get flamed for it! Brillant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast