Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: President Bush's Church

Poster
    Anglican divide set to deepen as gay debate rages

JOHN INNES

A REPORT aimed at healing splits in the Anglican Church could deepen the divide over homosexuality, it is feared.

Both liberals and conservatives remain entrenched on the controversial issue, sparking fears that the Lambeth Commission’s Windsor Report, to be published today, may only fuel the row.

The Commission was set up last year to tackle the crisis of unification among the 70 million members of Anglican Communion around the world.

Although the body, announced by the Archbishop of Canterbury, has addressed unity in general, the gay debate is set to dominate the fallout of its findings.

And rumours the report may call for a series of "core covenants" for churches to sign up to and follow in a bid to unite them has heightened the concerns.

The Reverend Martin Reynolds, spokesman for the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement, said: "We are not in crisis. It is those people who find homosexuality unacceptable who are in crisis.

"We hope this report is the beginning of a long discussion not the last word."

But conservatives have called for the report to take tough action on those dioceses who support homosexuality.

The Reverend David Phillips, general secretary of the Church Society, said: "Every organisation needs rules. The Anglican Communion is being asked to decide what to do when some members deliberately break the agreed rules."

The row has hit boiling point after the diocese of New Westminster in Canada allowed same-sex blessings and the Episcopal Church of the USA backed the election of Gene Robinson, an openly gay man in a relationship, as Bishop of New Hampshire.

The debate reached the UK last year with the nomination of Dr Jeffrey John, a gay but celibate clergyman, as Bishop of Reading. The decision sparked huge controversy and led to Dr John swiftly withdrawing his acceptance of the post and becoming the Dean of St Albans instead.

African Anglicans, traditionally strong conservatives, have threatened to leave the Communion if action is not taken against the US and Canadian dioceses.

Such a split would end centuries of work to unite Anglicans around the globe.

It has been widely rumoured that today’s report may recommend covenants for churches to voluntarily accept.

The LGCM fears such a move could narrow the diversity of Anglicans and prevent the development of homosexuals in the church.

Rev Reynolds said: "We hope whatever comes out will keep all of us in the Anglican church. We do not want anyone to leave, even our detractors. We need them and they need us, we can live together."

Rev Phillips said the Communion was already split and some would leave no matter what the report recommends.

He said the best option was to call for action against the US and Canadian dioceses.

He said: "They have gone well beyond what the rest of the Communion thinks.

"The Church is already split and it is their actions that have split it. We need a body which can assess when people have gone beyond the boundaries."

A statement from the Church Society said action was long overdue," he said.

"Without such action the Communion has no future because, as the Anglican Homilies assert, discipline is a mark of the true Church."

The Lambeth Commission was set up following a summit of the Anglican primates at Lambeth Palace last October.

It is chaired by the Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland, Dr Robin Eames, and includes liberals and conservatives.

Announcing the members at the time, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams said its main task would be to offer advice on finding a way through the situation.

In July this year, Dr Eames told the Commission’s website: "I would not be putting it too strongly to say that there is a sense of betrayal in parts of the Communion about the actions in North America."

But he has always stressed the Commission’s task was not to find answers to the questions of sexuality, but with assisting the Communion to respond to the developments and maintaining its unity.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    And what do you feel about that Everose?

Not being a Christian, I try not to comment on pieces that only affect those of a particular church etc...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Poster
    I am very glad that that the Episcopal Church of the USA backed the election of Gene Robinson as Bishop of New Hampshire, RF. Very glad.

Is that what you were asking of me?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    I am very glad that that the Episcopal Church of the USA backed the election of Gene Robinson as Bishop of New Hampshire, RF. Very glad.

Is that what you were asking of me?
    I was indeed, trying to get your opinion.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Poster
    Thank you for asking me then, RF.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Just for the record, Bush isn't an Anglican, he's a Methodist.

What was your intention on posting this?

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Poster
    Sorry, Magic Nakor. I heard he attends St. John's Episcopal Church across from the white house and assumed it was his church. He is actually Methodist.'

I was baptized as a babe in the Methodist Church and confirmed into the Episcopal Church as an adolescent. I guess it kind of bugged me that we could have grown up in the same church and had such differences in that area of thought.

But the reason I posted this? Well, because I wanted to. I was a wee bit proud of American Episcopalians, even though I am no longer affiliated with an Episcopal Church.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    I don't support same-sex marriages. People who say "you're wrong, and you live in the past" and "you don't know what you're talking about, give them (gays/lesbians) their freedoms". Remember this though, evolution is designed so the fittest survive, AIDS doesn't help that much. lol, if I was president or PM, I'd see to it personally that same-sex marriages are banned.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    I don't support same-sex marriages. People who say "you're wrong, and you live in the past" and "you don't know what you're talking about, give them (gays/lesbians) their freedoms". Remember this though, evolution is designed so the fittest survive, AIDS doesn't help that much. lol, if I was president or PM, I'd see to it personally that same-sex marriages are banned.
    more hetrosexual people have aids than homosexual and the increase in new incidents is faster in hetrosexual people

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    The Episcopal Church isn't the Anglican Church either, although if the Anglican finally fractures certain parts might join up. It's not a new issue, particularly in regards with the Anglicans; this split has been ongoing for several years now. I would like to get a copy of that report though. Could be interesting reading.

With regards to same-sex marriage, for the most part, you could slap whatever name you want on it if "marriage" is too troublesome due to religious connotation, but ensure the same legal rights as marriage, and many of the issues would disappear.

As for "survival of the fittest," at least in much of Europe and North America, our technology has transcended our need to be the epitome of health to survive.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast