Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Networking] URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Okay i know you should have cables in the WAN ports of the router and hub but in the router it just stops all the traffic and doesnt work. I can only get the internet working on the pc that comes str8 from the router. Upstairs is my second main pc whcih i cannot get the internet on at all. On the hub it has three lights POWER, SPEED and FDX/COL. In port 3 of the hu b (the line coming from the ROUTER they are all lit apart from \FDX/COL. What is this? I googled but found nothing? I have tried replacing the router with a 1 to 1 CAT5 female connector thingy and that means i get the interweb upstairs but not downstairs. Any ideas?

For the pc whcih does not have the internet working under network connections it gives the IP address as like 169.***.***.** when it should be 81.**.**.** like the working pc shows.

I foned up NTL (My ISP) and they basically said fuck off we dont support networkng however i can buy an extra IP address at an extra £5 a month but i dont really want to do that as i dont have the money and it would be a waste as iv just brought the 1 to 1 joiner thinking that would work.

Iv system restored back past the date where it stopped working on both Pc's, reset the defual settings in IE and stuff. On the PC wich doesnt work when i right clcikt he network and click repair after a while it said problem:n the IP could not be renewed.

PLEASE ANY IDEAS OR SUSGESTIONS THIS IS DRIVING ME FUCKING NUTS :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I already told u in the other thread what the right way to hook it up is. it's setting it up in the router config page that's yours problem.

That's the best way of hooking it up and i suggest you try to figure that out.

recap:
    modem plugs into wan on router
    wire from router lan1 to computer 1
    wire from router lan2 to hub
    wire from hub to computer 2.

edit: and the way you have it hooked up will be using the second IP adress which is why you cannot get the second pc to connect. using the router properly will allow you to use one ip and have both computers connect to the net. maybe your ISP recently put that into affect and that's why you lost the connection?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    I already told u in the other thread what the right way to hook it up is. it's setting it up in the router config page that's yours problem.

That's the best way of hooking it up and i suggest you try to figure that out.

recap:
    modem plugs into wan on router
    wire from router lan1 to computer 1
    wire from router lan2 to hub
    wire from hub to computer 2.

edit: and the way you have it hooked up will be using the second IP adress which is why you cannot get the second pc to connect. using the router properly will allow you to use one ip and have both computers connect to the net. maybe your ISP recently put that into affect and that's why you lost the connection?
    I had a talk with them today and they said they offer no support for networking but they said i can only have 1 IP address, how can i 'set it up' to work with just the 1? They have always had 1 by the way. Also looking in my router setup page i dont know what to chance, i havnt touched anything inside it and it just stopped working when i woke up one morning. So i dont have any idea really....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by peerzyboy
    I had a talk with them today and they said they offer no support for networking but they said i can only have 1 IP address, how can i 'set it up' to work with just the 1? They have always had 1 by the way. Also looking in my router setup page i dont know what to chance, i havnt touched anything inside it and it just stopped working when i woke up one morning. So i dont have any idea really....
    well im not sure how it ever worked before.

go into teh config and to the page that you setup the connect, click pppoe, then take a screenshot and someone can tell you what info to put where.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    You've only got one IP address provided by NTL. At the moment, that IP address is assigned to your PC and will continue to be assigned to it until it is released. Until that happens it can't be assigned to your router so your router can't access the internet via the wan port.

How do you release the IP address? You can simply wait until it expires, but I'm guessing you don't want to be without a connection for a few days, so you have to release it manually.

If you have a user id and password for your internet connection you will have to tell your router what these are, you can't pass them from your pc. Do this first, you may not be able to do it later until everything is up and running.

1. Connect your first PC directly to the modem. You must do this or your other PC may grab the IP as soon as the first one releases it.
    2. Open a command prompt on your first PC, enter the command "ipconfig".
    3. Look at the response, you will see a line looking something like "Ethernet adapter <name here>"
    4. Enter the command "ipconfig /release <name here>".
    5. Disconnect your pc from the modem.
    6. Connect the modem to the wan port of your router (with the router switched off).
    7. Switch on your router - it should now get the IP address from your ISP.
    8. Connect your PCs to the lan ports.
    9. On your first PC type the command "ipconfig /renew" to get an internal IP address from your router.

You may also need to switch your modem off and back on to complete this setup.
    Last edited by lynx; 10-21-2004 at 08:52 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Why not just connect both PC's into the router?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Supernatural - Please read the thread again....

lynx - Iv done all of that and it seems to be all good in the settings but can't get the internet on either pc. I took a screen shot of what the little Local Area Connection 5 thingy looks like on PC1 :

Pc2 is also the same except that it has 192.168.1.3 insted of 192.168.1.2 under ip address. Thats what it spose to be i think however i could get no internet on either of the PC's. Also how do i know if my Router has taken the 82.**.**.** ip address (my external one)?

Sorry for such a late reply have been busy and finding it hard to even get on the net at times.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    The IP status looks correct.

The only way to find out is to look in the router's setup when it is connected. Which router have you got (if you've mentioned it before I must have missed it). I'll try to find the manual so I can give you more specific details. Do you have to enter a userid and password (and possibly a connection name) in order to connect? If so, I'll try to work out where they go too.

If you've reconnected your pc to the modem (or via your original setup) in order to get back on the net you will have to go through the procedure again.

I am assuming that this method will work with NTL, but some ISP's (particularly cable) lock the IP to a particular mac address once it has connected, you have to get the ISP to unlock it if you are changing the connecting equipment. However, I think this is unlikely from what I've seen on NTL's site.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Hi,

I do not have to enter any login infomation its always on so no login or password. My router came from ebuyer (however i couldnt not find it on thier site) Its a brand called Origo, i couldnt find much about it. I have had connect tmy modem striaght up to PC1 to get the net back after trying your methid twice.

I do not need any router or modem software on my PC as they are all 'plug 'n' play'. If i work out how to get the internet onto at least one PC through the router i can take some screen shots of the http://192.168.1.1 settings page.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Ebuyer seem to have stopped selling most of the Origo products, which is a shame because they are generally pretty good.

Have a look here to see if you can see your model.

Can you take some screen shots while you are offline and then post them later?
    Last edited by lynx; 10-21-2004 at 08:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast