Thread: My Cd Burner Won't Respond!?!?!

HELP!! My CD burner is broken (I think)! It won't burn anything anymore, because it says that there's doesn't seem to be a disc in the drive. It can't read audio-cds or any type of CDrom either. I can still see the light on the drive burning, so I guess it still has to work, right?

Here's what I did before I "broke" it:

I was erasing a CDRW, and then my computer was stuck. So I rebooted my computer, and the next thing the drive didn't work anymore?!?!!!

So can anyone help me? PLEASE!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    are you sure you didnt leave ur cdr inside! maybe the disc was in the middle of copyin n it died... put a new disc inside now!.... ummm get a better burnning software

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Have you used your burner alot? You may have a bad CD burner.
    You know, CD burners do age. (kind of like a flashlight with weak batteries) The laser gets weak and can't pulse properly to "read" the CD let alone write to one. In fact, burners age faster than a CD-ROM because the laser works harder when "writing" to a CD.
    Your symptoms lead me to believe that is your problem.
    Luckily, CD burners are cheap(er) these days(<100&#036; US, easily).

p.s the light shows it is "trying" to work. not necessarily true though.

Hope that helps.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Soul814@27 March 2003 - 01:19
    are you sure you didnt leave ur cdr inside&#33; maybe the disc was in the middle of copyin n it died... put a new disc inside now&#33;.... ummm get a better burnning software
    No, i&#39;m sure I didn&#39;t leave the cdr inside. I&#39;ve tried everything....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by harrycary@27 March 2003 - 06:27
    Have you used your burner alot? You may have a bad CD burner.
    You know, CD burners do age. (kind of like a flashlight with weak batteries) The laser gets weak and can&#39;t pulse properly to "read" the CD let alone write to one. In fact, burners age faster than a CD-ROM because the laser works harder when "writing" to a CD.
    Your symptoms lead me to believe that is your problem.
    Luckily, CD burners are cheap(er) these days(<100&#036; US, easily).

p.s the light shows it is "trying" to work. not necessarily true though.

Hope that helps.
    This is a new comp, I have it since January this year.... I haven&#39;t used the burner that much, burning VCD, one time overburn, but this couldn&#39;t affect it that much, right? But maybe you&#39;re right, thanks anyway.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    try opening you computer unplug and replug you burner.
    if this don&#39;t work then you probably have a bad cdburner

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by thibi_yen@27 March 2003 - 12:56

This is a new comp, I have it since January this year
    well at least your warranty should still cover it

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Purchased in January? It&#39;s entirely possible that it is defective.
    That is exactly what warranties are for. If your warranty is 90 days labor/1yr parts you may be SOL. But, you can always complain to the mfg. Alot of times they will help you out. But you&#39;ve got to complain.
    (squeeky wheel gets the oil you know)
    Contact the mfg., read your literature.
    You will probably have to send it directly to them as a local servicer can do nothing(I am a service mgr. for such a company). The mfg doesn&#39;t make them "field servicable". Parts and service literature are just not made available.

For the record, if something is defective, 99% of the time it will act-up when you initially begin using it.

Good luck with it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by thibi_yen@27 March 2003 - 06:56
    .... I haven&#39;t used the burner that much, burning VCD, one time overburn, but this couldn&#39;t affect it that much, right?
    I know Nero warns that overburning may damage your drive. If it&#39;s still under warranty, I&#39;d return it (just don&#39;t mention the overburning).

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lolol... cd burners dont die that quick.... i had this one since last summer still working fine... hey i got it when cd burners just came out... this is 8x 4x 32x