Thread: [Confused] Xbox Patent Number?

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    I'm working on a group class presentation on my Economics class. Each group picks an invention, and talks about it. When it was invented, who invented it, and patent numbers. And other things, I won't get into much detail.

My group picked video games for our invention. We will talk about video games in general, and then a specific console (in this case, Xbox). I can get all the information needed, but I'm having a hard time with the inventors (specific people, not just Bill Gates), and the patent numbers on the Xbox.

So where would I find the patent numbers and stuff, I didn't have much luck with Google.

2. Games   -   #2
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Games   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaBoiy
    yeh, that describes a patent for one aspect of Xbox. this one is for Xbox's ability to save game data on the hard drive rather than using a memory card... possibly explaining why Playstation 2 still requires memory cards even after you install an official Sony hard drive on it. MS prolly holds several patents (at LEAST several) for different bits & pieces of Xbox's technology.

as for the designers of the hardware... that's a bit tricky. it's easy to want to give credit to one person, or two or three people, for "creating" the thing... but it's really the product of many, many minds: the people working hands-on with the design tools; the people managing them; outside companies who are hired to create parts for the machine, etc.

these people managed the various aspects of Xbox development, as well as the overall project: J Allard (Xbox General Manager), Seamus Blackley (Advanced Technology Group Manager), Paul Lukinich and Jeff Henshaw (Program Managers). supposedly Bill Gates had long been interested in developing a game/multimedia console based on MS software, as well.

'course, most of the technology existed before it was acquired for use in Xbox, and it was just a matter of bringing it together in a convenient, specialized package. the motherboard, graphics chip design, and audio chip design were basically PC products that Nvidia had already been selling... then MS contracted Nvidia to customize those products for use in a game console. the hard drive is a standard PC hard drive, the controller ports are simply USB with a different shape, and the DVD-Rom drive is standard PC equipment with customized firmware. MS's most original contribution to the package was on the software side: DirectX, Direct3D, the Dashboard, and the DVD-Video software.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 10-20-2004 at 06:07 AM.

4. Games   -   #4
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    I was supposed to post this yesterday:

@SingaBoiy
    Thanks, that gives me one of the patent numbers.

@3RA1N1AC
    Wow thanks for the useful information.

I did my presentation today, my teacher said my group did a good job, didn't get an official grade yet...

5. Games   -   #5
    Retired
    Why dont you send a email to microsoft?