Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browser hijack spyware

harrycary's Avatar Poster
    If you (and your kids of course) are running Internet Explorer you may want to try using a little freeware title called "Browser Hijacker Blaster" It will help you avoid problems in the future.

It's freely available here...

http://www.wilderssecurity.net/bhblaster.html

Otherwise you may look into using a different, more secure browser. I use Mozilla Firefox but there are others.

Good luck...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Hi Sara, your log looks clean, no more lop!

You really should try to visit windows update and install all critical updates.

Also, consider installing the following free programs to help protect your system.
    Once installed, they don't need to be running to protect, just open and update spywareblaster every few weeks.

SpywareBlaster - Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.

IE-SPYAD is a Registry file (IE-ADS.REG) that adds a long list of sites and domains associated with known advertisers, marketers, and crapware pushers to the Restricted sites zone of Internet Explorer.

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    I use crazybrowzer but the kids have continued to use IE....must remind myself to tell them not to...

As for updates, I had a problem installing sp2 as my erm...my xp pro...

So I dl and burned to disc and its just showing as an iso....must have done something dumb.....must get round to it I guess.....my comp keeps trying to install sp2 from winupdate...but as it only gets so far and then tells me off...I am a bit stuck until I can dl another copy (deleted the original in reformat).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Mullyman's Avatar Poster
    Just a little side note...crazybrowzer is no better than internet explorer...it is based on the same core...it only has more features but it still has all of the security downfalls...i would suggest you give firefox a try...it has no connection to IE and it is a very secure browser in my opinion.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    DEMO'S WORLD
    Knowledge And Wisdom Are Gained By Listening And Observing And Knowing When To Keep Your Fucking Mouth Shut!!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I'd suggest firefox too but I would advise not geting 1.0pr cos I had oodles of trouble with it and ended up going back to the previous release

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    I use crazybrowzer but the kids have continued to use IE....must remind myself to tell them not to...

As for updates, I had a problem installing sp2 as my erm...my xp pro...

So I dl and burned to disc and its just showing as an iso....must have done something dumb.....must get round to it I guess.....my comp keeps trying to install sp2 from winupdate...but as it only gets so far and then tells me off...I am a bit stuck until I can dl another copy (deleted the original in reformat).
    Sara, if I've read between the lines properly

You need to change your XP Product Key, SP2 will then install. It should install using a key valid for SP1 but it seems yours is not.

SP2 is not necessary at this point, in my opinion, but if you want to install it then I can certainly send you the neccesary stuff to change your key, or at least point you in the right direction.

Also I may as well add my two pence with the browser issue. Dump CrazyBrowser and install Firefox.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Sara, after choosing an alternative browser just make it the default and delete all shortcuts to IE.

TweakUI(available at the Microsoft website) will allow you to remove the IE icon from your desktop.

regards,

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Mullyman's Avatar Poster
    You still have to use IE ocassionally as some sites will not work with Firefox(small percentage)...and also to download windows updates...but Firefox has extentions to open IE and to download updates using Firefox.
    DEMO'S WORLD
    Knowledge And Wisdom Are Gained By Listening And Observing And Knowing When To Keep Your Fucking Mouth Shut!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12