Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older Comp (not That Old) Which Os?

Not sure if this is the right forum but can someone tell me the best os to use on this system?

700 mhz Celeron
    192 MB RAM (soon to swap teh 64 mb chip for a 256) SD RAM PC 100
    Windows ME currently

I was thinking XP but when I tried to install it everytime I had conflicts with my video card so I don't wanna go XP at all. I was thinking 2000? If so can someone post a hash?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Speaking as a former WIN ME user,........... my condolences. I have a 1.0 Athlon w/ 128 mb Ram. Just installed a Win XP Corp, changed the key, installed SP1................ and my machine is running like it never had before. I suggest that you definitely boost the Ram, and go buy yourself an XP compadible video card. Trust me............ it will be well worth it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    uh i would go with win xp its really worth it and just get new drvier for ur video card...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    TRshady
    Or if yu would rather have another os for now, till you get a new video card, then get windows 2000 pro, I got mine of kaZaa and it works perfectly.

I must say, I hate windowsME. Just like windows 98 , (oh, just saying the word makes me shiver).

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Shady you said exactly what I was gonna say, can you gimme a hash for 2000?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Amplifier_SFH Posted on 26 March 2003 - 21:16
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not sure if this is the right forum but can someone tell me the best os to use on this system?

700 mhz Celeron
    192 MB RAM (soon to swap teh 64 mb chip for a 256) SD RAM PC 100
    Windows ME currently

I was thinking XP but when I tried to install it everytime I had conflicts with my video card so I don't wanna go XP at all. I was thinking 2000? If so can someone post a hash?
    Running xp pro on celeron 667 mhz with 512 ram(ram is fairly cheap). Had to update video drivers,works great .Use to run 98se(scarry) ,well worth the upgrade the os is bullet proof ..My 3 kids each have there own profile,they beat the crap out of the system and it keeps on ticking(oh ya thats a timex) ..Seriously XP pro the way togo well worth the upgrade.. B)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    imported_The__One
    Here is a resume of the OS's:

Windows XP Pro

Windows 2K Pro

Windows ME

Windows 98se

Basicly, with your specs, go with XP Pro, or 2K Pro, stay AWAY from Windows ME at all costs!!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    win2k all the way

winxp looks like it should have fisher price stamped on the front.
    ( i know you can turn the crap off but its still on your disk using resorces)

Frosty

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Windows XP should run fine with that PC. What video card is it and what conflict? It maybe something simple to solve that problem. I have successfully installed XP on systems with as low as 350mhz and 128megs ram.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    rr_kingozz can you post a hash link to Win XP Corp.
    thanks allot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast