Thread: Lending Money To Friends

BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over

Smile

Since the Talk Club does seem overloaded with political threads as of late I’ll follow Brenda’s theme and start a thread about something else.

What’s everyone else’s policy for lending money to friends?

Reason I ask is I recently had a close friend of mine ask me if he could borrow and pretty substantial sum of money. This really put me in a difficult position because I have a hard time saying no to people that I really like but this was quite a large sum of money for me to lending out. It was what he was going to do with the money that influenced my decision the most.

He needed a new vehicle and went to by himself one and once there his wife decided that she also wanted a vehicle, which is where I came in, and he wanted me to pay the down payment on his wife’s car. I thought this it was absolutely ridiculous for someone who could barely afford one vehicle to buy two at the same time and had to tell him no. It was very hard for me to tell him no because we are such close friends but I thought that it was the right decision.

What say you?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Mathea's Avatar The Blonde Alibi BT Rep: +5
    well when i have lent out money i make sure that it is not so much that if i dont get it back it wont screw me over. also i dont plan on gettin the money back... so if i do then thank goodness but i dontwant money to destroy a friendship.... so if its a little then its no big deal

in ur case i woulda told my friend no as well, bc as u said he cant afford one barely, let alone two AND pay u back

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Good decision. At least they were able to get the one car...they suddenly decided one too for the wife..would they have decided that if you weren't there with the checkbook? I think you did a smart thing there. I would've done the same thing.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathea
    well when i have lent out money i make sure that it is not so much that if i dont get it back it wont screw me over. also i dont plan on gettin the money back... so if i do then thank goodness but i dontwant money to destroy a friendship.... so if its a little then its no big deal

in ur case i woulda told my friend no as well, bc as u said he cant afford one barely, let alone two AND pay u back
    Yup, thats what I do...

This goes for anything; If I loan it, I don't expect it back.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Good policy. See, we agree on something. LOL
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    Good policy. See, we agree on something. LOL
    put this issue under economics?
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    If they don't have the finance for the deposit how are they going to pay the loan and you ?
    I would loan my last cent to a friend if it was for an operation for example but not for an impulse buy that they can't afford in the first place.

How you approach the matter has a lot to do with just how close the friend is and how much the friend values you. If they are real friends they will understand.
    Personally i have never bought anything on credit...apart from my first houses. I have gone without on many things untill i could afford it. (that's why i was older than most starting my family)

It's one thing to lend a few bucks but this sounds risky.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Vid he promised me that he would pay me back with his income tax return. He sure is expecting a lot from his income tax return.

I’m just like you if it were for something that someone really needed I’d give the shirt off my back. I just couldn’t see the sense in buying two vehicles at once.

I do value his friendship very much that is why I had such of a hard time with this.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I am owed $2000 and $1500 from 2 different friends. I think because they I know readily have a decent amount of money they feel I don't need it back anytime soon.

It's been years and my patience is wearing thin.

One of the friends is in NYC. The other is near me in Maryland. He is the one that I have come around him to get some of it.

I sometimes have thoughts hitting him in the mouth because he knows he owes me but I have stayed cordial.

I fear I'm about to get street on him and maybe the other if I don't get my money.

I am too nice almost all the time but on this I might have something to make them snap out of being comfortable with not paying me back.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-21-2004 at 03:13 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I only lend money for frivolous, non expensive things. If a friend can't get to the bank and needs to borrow fifty quid for a night out or something then fine. When a friend comes to me asking for an amount to pay their rent/mortgage/loan replayment or whatever I always say no.

It does not do to get a reputation as a soft touch for money because if you lend some cash to one friend then it is often difficult to say no to another. Whether the reason is because the friend is aware, or might become aware, of the prior loan to someone else or simply because of your conscience.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.