Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bitorrent Questions..

bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Ok. I have used Bitorrent to download many movies. However, they go at like 3kbs. How do people get them going at like 150?

Here is my setup. I have a DSL connection and a Linksys Router, so what do I need to do to get my speeds up?

I see guides at the top but I dont know what to use or do...can someone please explain to me..
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Retired
    Port forward your router. ( http://www.portforward.com/ )

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    will port forwarding slow down my connection at all? What does torrentbits do?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgfoxx
    will port forwarding slow down my connection at all? What does torrentbits do?
    port forwarding will boost your download speed. Your router 'blocks' your downloads. if you pord forward the ports you use for bittorent your download speed wil increase.

--
    torrentbits is a bittorent filesharing website.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Alright sweet, I've got my port forwarded for Bitorent.

Now, the port number for WinMX is 6699 ....thats it...not 2, 4digit, numbers, so what do I put in the Start and End section of my web settings thing?

Also I get this damn error ALL the time...it comes up like every couple of mins

And it never seems to connect or download much at ALL.
    Last edited by bigdawgfoxx; 10-22-2004 at 03:10 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    It may be a blacklisted port. It certainly appears so from the error message you're getting.

Try a different port number, above 7000 shouldn't be blacklisted. So in your port range - the Start and End section - put something like 7001 and 7011.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    But that wouldnt be the correct port to help out bitorrent would it...Doesnt it have to be a certain one. And even if I opened a bad port, it should still connect without using that port..I would think.

I have gotten that error message before I opened the ports though, I have always gotten that message, but it downloads stuff. Last night I left it on all night and it didnt download AT ALL.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgfoxx
    But that wouldnt be the correct port to help out bitorrent would it...Doesnt it have to be a certain one. And even if I opened a bad port, it should still connect without using that port..I would think.

I have gotten that error message before I opened the ports though, I have always gotten that message, but it downloads stuff. Last night I left it on all night and it didnt download AT ALL.
    No it doesn't have to be a particular port. Ports range from single digits to 67,000 or so and few are specific to a certain type of connection. Recently I got that message when trying to download a movie from Torrentbits. They had blacklisted a range of ports including the one you mention. I did what I described to you and the problem ceased.

However, I use ABC and I don't have a router.

I still imagine the principle would be the same with your BT client, provided you forwarded the appropriate ports. Give it a try, if it works then great, if not it's a wasted 30 seconds
    Last edited by manker; 10-22-2004 at 11:21 AM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Yep it dont matter what ports forward aslong as you tell your client what ports they are.

I have Azuerus and just have one single port open, 7882 if I remember rightly.

You'll find the common ones are blacklisted because a lot of isps try to throttle the speed on them

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Hmm, I'm still a little lost lol. Do I need to tell Bitorent what port to use? And so can just opening up one port allow al my p2p programs to go faster?

What is torrentbits.org? Is it better then Suprnova, and is it free?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast